Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmk

Had Egd Today

so i finally got my EGD done (and for anybody worried about having this procedure -- it was a piece of cake w/ sedation!) -- i'm slightly disappointed b/c the doctor only took 4 biopsies (he originally told me he was going to take 7) b/c he said that everything looked normal -- can they really tell if you don't have any damage from just looking??

i had positive enterolab results so was really hoping i had found out what was causing all my problems. i think no matter what the results, i will be going gluten free no matter for a while and then maybe do a gluten challenge. if the results come back negative from the biopsies, i guess i'll be getting a colonoscopy next.

i'm kind of discouraged -- has anybody had the doctor say everything looks completely normal after the endoscopy and then come back to find damage from the biopsies?

i've been practically living on this forum for a few months now and you guys are all so nice and full of knowledge -- even if i come back negative from the biopsy, reading everybody else's trials makes me feel not so alone.

Thanks!

so i finally got my EGD done (and for anybody worried about having this procedure -- it was a piece of cake w/ sedation!) -- i'm slightly disappointed b/c the doctor only took 4 biopsies (he originally told me he was going to take 7) b/c he said that everything looked normal -- can they really tell if you don't have any damage from just looking??

i had positive enterolab results so was really hoping i had found out what was causing all my problems. i think no matter what the results, i will be going gluten free no matter for a while and then maybe do a gluten challenge. if the results come back negative from the biopsies, i guess i'll be getting a colonoscopy next.

i'm kind of discouraged -- has anybody had the doctor say everything looks completely normal after the endoscopy and then come back to find damage from the biopsies?

i've been practically living on this forum for a few months now and you guys are all so nice and full of knowledge -- even if i come back negative from the biopsy, reading everybody else's trials makes me feel not so alone.

Thanks!

The simple answer is yes, you can have a 'normal' looking small intestine to the eye and still have gluten related damage. For many the damage from celiac is on a microscopic level and they really need to get a look at the biopsies. Some will also hear that they have 'preceliac changes' but are not YET celiac. Also don't forget that biopsies are hit and miss, a positive is conclusively a positive but a negative is never definate. You are wise to go with the diet no matter what the results as a positve enterolab result is a positive.

thank you SO much for the reply! as you say, no matter if i get a negative biopsy, if i go gluten free and feel better, then that is all that i need -- i guess that is the whole point anyways -- to feel better!

i feel like i'm having heartburn -- is that normal after an EGD?