Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nisa's Mama

Rice Dream Effecting Breastmilk?

hi again. dd is still in tons of pain, i have been drinking A LOT of rice dream. i wouldn't think such low amounts of gluten could get into my breast milk enough to effect her. has any breast feeding mom's had any experience with this brand and their babies?

~Barbara

When I was gluten lite I was only eating granola (with oats) and rice dream. My son's eczema didn't clear completely up until I dropped to a complete gluten free diet.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but I believe it is possible.

I haven't been able to prove/disprove Rice Dream as affecting my son through my milk. I have stopped using it, though, just to be on the safe side.

But I can tell you what did affect him through my milk. I was on strict TED for three weeks and he was doing fine. (He was exclusively nursing at that point - no solids for him yet.) I had been eating Erewhon Crispy Rice cereal each night as a "dessert" (ingredients: Organic Brown Rice, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Sea Salt) and unintentionally bought the non-gluten-free type (ingredients: Organic Brown Rice, Organic Barley Malt, Sea Salt). I ate that four nights in a row and that fourth night my son was MISERABLE. It was completely obvious that it had to be the gluten passing through my milk to him since that was absolutely the only change in my diet. That really shocked me to think of how little gluten I had eaten (compared to my previous diet of gluten filled foods) and how big of an impact it had on him...through my breastmilk. Now I am SUPER careful of being gluten-free.

Just another thought - have you checked the ingredients of any vitamins, supplements, meds you are taking? What about meds your dd is on? Are they all gluten-free? It is easy to overlook these things sometimes.