Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklen

Hives And Celiac

Hi,

I had a positive blood test for coeliac disease a couple of weeks ago and am due to have the follow-up endoscopy next week. This is not such a big deal and am coping with it OK.

However around the same time I have been developing hives. Most of the time they are like little red spots that can itch like crazy, get inflamed if I scratch them and disappear about 20 minutes later. This has freaked me out a little, as the literature the doctor has given me doesn't say anything about hives being a symptom of coeliac disease. While self-diagnosing on the Internet, however, I found that they were a symptom of a related lymphoma disease.

Has anyone else had hives as part of their disease and/or could better explain the correlation with lymphoma? You would help put an anxious 32-year-old mind at rest.

Thanks,

Mark

Sydney, Australia

There are a couple threads in the Related Disorders & Research room regarding Dermographia. That may be what you're talking about? In my case it started just before I was diagnosed. Someone suggested it might be related to damage to the mylen nerve sheath. It could be stress. It could be an allergic reaction. I don't know. I'd never heard about lymphoma being in any way related. In my case it does not respond to antihistamines. I've tried several. I wish I could be more help, but I haven't found any answers either.

Violet

There are a couple threads in the Related Disorders & Research room regarding Dermographia. That may be what you're talking about? In my case it started just before I was diagnosed. Someone suggested it might be related to damage to the mylen nerve sheath. It could be stress. It could be an allergic reaction. I don't know. I'd never heard about lymphoma being in any way related. In my case it does not respond to antihistamines. I've tried several. I wish I could be more help, but I haven't found any answers either.

Violet

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Interesting just had lunch with a friend here in Australia who is also a celiac and he had some sage advice 'wierd stuff happens'. He said he had all sorts of symptoms. particularly before he was diagnosed and he gave up wasting too much time and energy trying to get to the bottom of them. I think I might take a couple of deep breaths and follow his advice.

Thanks again,

Mark