Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imsohungry

Baking Thermometers

Hi everyone,

My mother purchased two different thermometers for me. I don't know if anyone does this, but I want to test the temperature of my bread in the middle to see if it heated through. I am tired of slicing up a beautiful loaf of homemade bread (after it cools of course), only to find out the middle didn't bake! :huh:

So, I have several questions. First, does anyone on the board use a thermometer for bread? If you do, what temp. is it supposed to reach? What kind of thermometer is used for breads (if there is such a thing). :blink:

I always use the "toothpick test," but my toothpicks are very unreliable. :rolleyes: I guess they don't reach quite to the middle or I'm misunderstanding the toothpick, etc.

I don't know what the hel* I do wrong, but unless I make muffins, none of my bread turns out.

Help? Please?

Blessings -Julie <_<:unsure:

Hi everyone,

My mother purchased two different thermometers for me. I don't know if anyone does this, but I want to test the temperature of my bread in the middle to see if it heated through. I am tired of slicing up a beautiful loaf of homemade bread (after it cools of course), only to find out the middle didn't bake! :huh:

So, I have several questions. First, does anyone on the board use a thermometer for bread? If you do, what temp. is it supposed to reach? What kind of thermometer is used for breads (if there is such a thing). :blink:

I always use the "toothpick test," but my toothpicks are very unreliable. :rolleyes: I guess they don't reach quite to the middle or I'm misunderstanding the toothpick, etc.

I don't know what the hel* I do wrong, but unless I make muffins, none of my bread turns out.

Help? Please?

Blessings -Julie <_<:unsure:

I have had great success baking bread since I started using a thermometer. I use an instant-read digital thermometer like this one. The center of the bread should be 209 - 211 degrees. I bake the bread for the low end of time that the recipe calls for, and then add time if the temp is still too low. I take the bread temp while it is still in the oven (open the door and stab the bread and wait until it is finished taking the temp) to avoid extreme temperature changes, but I don't really know if it makes a difference or not.

Hope this helps!

Colleen,

Thank you so much! I had no idea if it was even a reasonable thought. I've never used a cooking thermometer before (besides, of course, the oven temperature setting). I'm grateful I got a response to this question! -Julie :)