Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 7 yr old was just diagnosed and she does have the loss of enamal in her teeth. Sad her brand new adult teeth are yellow from Celiac! It breaks me heart. Well the enamel come back in time as she heals?

I would also like to know that!!

My double DQ1 granddaughter age 9 has also lost the enamel on her teeth. But she is not gluten-free & her parents are not going to put her on the diet. She is also now overweight. I can just imagine the horrors tha she is going to go thru with her teeth...

My 7 yr old was just diagnosed and she does have the loss of enamal in her teeth. Sad her brand new adult teeth are yellow from Celiac! It breaks me heart. Well the enamel come back in time as she heals?

When my adult teeth came in as a child, my 2 front bottom teeth were yellow....no enamel on them.

It kills me because I had so many signs of celiac disease then and no one picked up on it. If the teeth are yellow with no enamel on them, as opposed to being a yellowish color, with enamel intact, I am afraid the enamel does not come back. I had both teeth capped and they look great now but it does cost money. My insurance did cover some of the expense though.

One thing you may want to keep an eye out for is Sjogren's Syndrome. It's another autoimmune disease that is concurrent with celiac disease. There is a blood test for it. It attacks the salivary glands and you produce less saliva, giving you dry mouth. This can affect dental health. The less saliva you have, the less protection against tooth decay. I would even recommend my dental routine....4 cleanings per year, with a dentist that is versed in what celiac disease can do. My teeth look great but I keep on top of any problems. However, I am losing 2 teeth due to Sjogrens and will have to have implants within the next couple of years. The bad news is that celiac disease can cause all kinds of dental problems but the good news is that much can be fixed today!

Gemini- wonderful advice- especially about the Sjogren's Syndrome.

The enamel does not come back, just as osteoporosis can't really be reversed once the bone is gone. If the teeth are just discolored, there's always professional whitening.

Unfortunately if there are enamel defects- the choices are composite bonding (for very small areas), or crowns or veneers or finally extraction followed by implants.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a dentist w/ knowledge of celiac- not easy to find!

Julie

Also, forgot to mention- if it makes you feel a little better- if she is gluten-free now, there is a chance that her remaining teeth will come in OK- for example her 2nd molars at age 12 or her wisdom teeth. Also, her premolars may be OK, but you just have to wait and see. Unfortunately, her front teeth have already formed and probably erupted already.

Julie

Gemini- wonderful advice- especially about the Sjogren's Syndrome.

The enamel does not come back, just as osteoporosis can't really be reversed once the bone is gone. If the teeth are just discolored, there's always professional whitening.

Unfortunately if there are enamel defects- the choices are composite bonding (for very small areas), or crowns or veneers or finally extraction followed by implants.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a dentist w/ knowledge of celiac- not easy to find!

Julie

Julie....I have learned much since diagnosis and many problems I had over the years were all connected to celiac disease. No one connects the dots. I know that my knowledge is better than many doctor's and dentists and I am teaching both about how devastating celiac disease can be in many ways. My dentist now is aware and my information to her is helping her recognize symptoms in others....whether they want to hear it or not! Sjogren's has affected my teeth, gums and eyes but there are things that can be done to help, thank goodness. I still get annoyed that people who are diagnosed with celiac disease are not even told about all the other autoimmune diseases that can come with it! Then again, I have told my immediate family members, who I KNOW have a problem with gluten, and do you think they listen? :rolleyes:

Thanks. It breaks my heart because she is only 7! She has only lost 6 teeth so maybe those baby teeth can hange on for a bit longer and we can heal the big teeth.

When her allergist asked me if she had ever been tested for Celiac after I had her ttested for milk allergies and she was fine. I went home and read about Celiac and the yellow teeth for me was a huge sign and I took her to be tested(blood) litterly the next day. I do feel so blessed that I was able to get her diagnosed in a month, I am actually going to call her allergist back this week and thank her for mentioning celiac!

As for caping and stuff I think I will wait until she gets older because my guess is she will need braces or at least until more adult teeth come in and see.