Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! I've got a UTI right now and just got some meds, but I don't know if they're gluten-free. My antibiotic is okay, but the pain med they give for UTIs is questionable. I was prescribed Pyridium. I was given the generic, Phenazopyridine. Pyridium, in one source I have, is named in a list of "Not gluten free or suspect ingredients" meds. The 800 number given was already closed for the day by the time I called. The pharmacist couldn't find a list of inactive ingredients! This med is similar to Uristat, which as far as I can tell is gluten free by looking at the ingredients list, but I have not yet confirmed anywhere that it is safe. Anybody know about this already??

Help! I've got a UTI right now and just got some meds, but I don't know if they're gluten-free. My antibiotic is okay, but the pain med they give for UTIs is questionable. I was prescribed Pyridium. I was given the generic, Phenazopyridine. Pyridium, in one source I have, is named in a list of "Not gluten free or suspect ingredients" meds. The 800 number given was already closed for the day by the time I called. The pharmacist couldn't find a list of inactive ingredients! This med is similar to Uristat, which as far as I can tell is gluten free by looking at the ingredients list, but I have not yet confirmed anywhere that it is safe. Anybody know about this already??

Here is a link to the drug, make sure you read the whole thing it does have some side effects that could be concerning if you don't know they will happen. Also it states that if you are taking an antibiotic with it you should not take it for more than 2 days. If you are still having symptoms after taking it for two days get right back with your doctor. It can also interfere with some testing so it is a good idea to read this throughly. It is as stated toward the end gluten free if it is the one made by this company. They do describe what it looks like if the pharmacist did not give you the literature.

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceuti...)/PYRIDIUM.html