This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pre-tested Newbie With Lots Of Questions

SwirlyGirly

SwirlyGirly Newbie

Hi, I finally caved in and tried a gluten-free diet after years of mystery sicknesses. My diet was very heavy in gluten as I was a major pasta lover and the daughter of a baker. For years, I've suspected that I have a gluten intolerance, but always dismissed it because I was too afraid to admit that I need to change my diet drastically. My symptoms were chalked up to IBS with constipation and generalized panic disorder.

Now, I have been off gluten for a month, eating only fruits, veggies, dairy, seafood and meat that I've been making at home. I didn't know what to do, so I basically took out all grain, starches and all processed foods. And almost immediately I began to feel better. I am happy to say that I am free of daily, constant stomach aches for the first time in over 5 years. The tingling feeling and numbness in my fingers has gone away. I had an on-going pain on the left side of my abdomen has disappeared. And my joints feel like new. But, I'm still very much confused.

I need to begin expanding my diet to allow for other gluten-free foods, but I don't really know how. I live abroad from the US, and the medical care here is not exactly fantastic. I still haven't made an appt to see a Dr to discuss the possibility of having a gluten intolerance. And, I seriously doubt that I'll find any specifically-made gluten-free products in the stores.

I have a lot of newbie-type questions that I would love someone to answer. Thanks in advance for any help!

If I've been gluten-free for over a month already, can I still get a blood test? I am 100% unwilling to reintroduce gluten into my diet out of pure fear. If not, what should I do? I don't even know if they test for this here at all.

Can I eat non-wheat based commercial cereals like Corn Flakes?

How about Risotto?

What are safe go-to meals that I can order in restaurants?

I hope I posted this in the right place. And thanks so much for any help or advice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Testing-if you are off gluten it can give you a false negative. You can order a gene test and, coupled with a positive dietary response, be done. There is nothing the medical community can do for you.

Most common cereals are off limits because of malt flavoring. Very few, Cocoa Pebbles is one, are safe and you still need to read the label every time.

Risotto=rice you're good as long as everything added is gluten free. (Make me some, too! :))

Eating out always carries a risk. I eat lots of baked potatoes and salads.

You don't say where you are but some countries are more enlightened than US manufactures. You MUST be a dedicated label reader. There is lots of great info on this site. It has been a real lifesaver for me. Someone here always knows the answer to questions. Plus the recipes are really good as well.

Welcome to the club!

mommyagain Explorer

Tell us what country you're in, I'm sure there is someone on this board who lives in the same country or at least has traveled there.

At this point, you will probably test negative for celiac, so you may never get your "official" diagnosis. This is only really a problem if you end up having family/friends who doubt you. For instance, my husband wants me to have an official dx even tho my dietary response has been amazingly good.

As for food, eating out is always hard. Here in the US there are some chains that have gluten-free menus online, but even then people get "glutened" because the cooks aren't careful enough (or don't know) about cross-contamination. Basically, if you must eat out, and want something other than a plain baked potato or salad, you can usually ask for plain (no marinades/sauces) chicken, grilled. Make sure you tell them that you have "severe allergies" and they need to wrap it in foil before cooking it.

Good luck.

EBsMom Apprentice
If I've been gluten-free for over a month already, can I still get a blood test? I am 100% unwilling to reintroduce gluten into my diet out of pure fear. If not, what should I do? I don't even know if they test for this here at all.

Can I eat non-wheat based commercial cereals like Corn Flakes?

How about Risotto?

What are safe go-to meals that I can order in restaurants?

Do you have access to books where you are? Can you order from the internet or have a friend buy one and mail it to you? The book "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" is a primer on how to eat gluten free. It could help you a lot.

In the meantime....some corn flakes are gluten-free - usually the healthfood store brands - most major brands are not. It's the same with rice-based cereals (Rice Krispies are NOT gluten-free.) If nothing gluten-containing is added to the risotto, you're good. You have to be careful, though - for example, commercially prepared chicken stocks can have gluten. When I need (or want) to eat out, I usually order pan-cooked fish or chicken (you must specify a clean pan for cooking, with NO flour or spice blends with unspecified ingredients to be added; I usually say "only salt, pepper or single ingredient herbs" are okay.) Then I order a salad or steamed veggies on the side. Still, you have to be careful - no croutons on the salad, and I ask for oil and vinegar to add myself, because you don't know what's in a prepared dressing. I've had some pretty good meals out when I've been able to have a conversation with the chef. Many dishes are naturally gluten-free, but you have to check to be sure.

Good luck to you!

Rho

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi and welcome to the world of gluten free! Glad to hear you are feeling better on the diet. Here are a few more tidbits of info. First, call al lof the manufacturers of the products that you use daily like makeup, bath products, creams, lotions, etc. Ask if the products are gluten free or label for gluten. I react to contact, some people do and some don't.

Any processed food that you eat needs to be verified that it is gluten free. Gluten is a hidden ingredient you need to watch for. Get a book on gluten written in the local language or get someone to translate the all of the gluten words for you. (Wheat, spelt, etc.)

You can always order products online for pasta, cookies, breads, etc.

Basically the fun part of this disease is the amount of research you end up doing to figure out which foods are safe and how to make the foods you used to love. In my own opinion, if you loved pasta before, wait a few months before trying gluten-free pasta. Some are very good, but they are still different in taste and texture from gluten pasta. I loved pizza and would get really depressed about the diet everytime I ate a gluten-free pizza for the first year. Now I make a good gluten-free pizza.

As for eating out, steak and baked potato or bunless burgers are staples for me. If in doubt, bring food with you.

Good luck and keep reading on this site. Tons of info here.

Archived