This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Not Quite As Bad (but Still Annoying!)

bigbelly

bigbelly Newbie

Hello everyone -

I have been reading posts here for about a week now and have learned a ton! Now I wanted to get everyone's opinion/comments on my situation. About 3 years ago I had a 2 week bout with horrible cramps and bad diarrhea. I lost about 10 pounds in 2 weeks and basically didn't move from the couch. I am convinced that I haven't been the same since. For the past year or so, I have been majorly bloated. I ignored it for a long time, thinking it was just bad eating habits/period time/etc. A few weeks ago, I had terrible stomachache for over 24hrs after dinner. Since then I have been paying more attention to my stomach and I am starting to track my symptoms. They aren't as bad as many people on this forum have, but they are enough to cause me distress. The only time I don't feel very bloated is right when I wake up. As soon as I eat or drink anything, my stomach grows (we're talking inches here). I get bloated even when I don't eat a lot of gluten (eggs, salad...). I eat a salad most days for lunch and look pregnant within 20 minutes. Usually after a decent sized meal I have stomach discomfort (tolerable, but annoying) but I don't have any problems with diarrhea or constipation (although my normal bm are only every 3-5 days).

I went to my doctor and he told me to drink Metamucil and eat fiber cereal for 2 weeks and call him if that didn't help. It made no difference, except make me go to the bathroom more. Do you think this could be Celiac or wheat intolerance even though it isn't as extreme and my worst symptom is the bloating?

THANK YOU for your input - I have to wait until 10/30 for my GI appt and want some advice before then!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

You are just used to your symptoms, not that they are not there...

You have constipation. Anyone that does not "go" for 3 to 5 days is constipated - I know that used to be me. My doc boyfriend said I had a lazy colon...

just get the tests for celiac & you will probably have to also be dairy free at first. & you could have a couple of other food intolerances.

Denial is a lovely thing, I have been seeing a lot of it lately in my friends...

Better to get this taken care of before your body comes up with a symptom you cannot ignore - like cancer, MS, RA, damage to the brain - a whole bunch of stuff could be going on & you do not know it - it is not just a swollen belly - there are things causing the swollen belly that is not good - not good at all...

glad to hear you were reading the posts. Stick around & let us know what you decide to do

bigbelly Newbie

Thanks so much for your advice - It is hard to know sometimes if you are overreacting and being a hypochondriac or if there really is a problem. I know I read many times on the boards not to try going glucose free before any testing....my 1st appt with the GI doctor is 10/30. Would it hurt to try going glucose free for a week to see if anything improves (mostly I am curious) or should I wait it out to see what he says?

Thanks again!!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Well, if you are going to spend the money on the tests - I would be eating all the goodies that i could think of - for the last time !!!!!!!! & yes, you need to keep eating the gluten until after the blood draw. be sure to print out the names of that blood tests - that are listed on here somewhere. Do not assume that your doc will run the right ones - unless you specifically hand him the list & tell him what you want run.

Good luck - yea, isn't it amazing how the docs and society teach us to doubt ourselves!!!

Keep us posted...

wishing you the best -

Archived