Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom2matt

Help My Son My Be Celiac

Hello All,

My Son under went an EDG or is EGD. The reason was for ab pain. Well they found 4 ulcers on his Stomach, then she told me his small Intestine was diffrent, then she told me to take him to lab to have a full celiac panel done. I'm worried. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic, and asthma. He is a very crankey boy, my opinion. What are the Panel of test she ordered, and what did the small intestine biopsy come back "Diffrent" I'm lost I don't know anything about Celiac and no one in my family has it... ANY INFO would be great...

Thanks

Kathy Ellis

Fort Worth Tx

Insulin is not a cure!

It probably means his villi were either flat or has some flattening to them. I would ask them if that is what she meant. If he has flattening of his villi, then he really wont need the celiac panel cause the egd is the golden standard of of diagnosis of celiac.

You have came to the right place for questions. Feel free to ask anyone anything.

paula

Kathy, there is a great Dallas support group. PM me if you do not find the link on google... Well your son's asthma should go away on the gluten free diet. I am not up on diabetes but it is connected to the gluten problem & I think when a diabetic is on the gluten free diet that it makes it easier to control - but I am sure you can talk to some of the people that have both - it is fairly common. The doctors are now diagnosing people that have asthma & diabetes with celiac because they recognize them as symptoms & are running the tests. There is a diabetic speicalist doctor in Austin, Texas that is trying to get all doctors to test ALL their diebetic patients for celiac - sounds like she might be making some progress!!!!!

Celiac may have a steep learning curve in the beginning but your child will be soooooooo much healthier. There is also something called ROCK groups (Raising Our Celiac Kids).