Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie789

Food Intolerance Diagnosis - Need Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

The most important thing here is that you feel better. I also had a negative bloodwork test for Celiac. This is common. If you try the diet and it works then you should continue it.

I think everyone is different as far as when they started feeling better. I began to feel better probably within the first month. The bloating was the first thing to go. Then gradually i lost the heartburn, gas, irritability, anxiety, fatigue, muscle pain, etc. And my stools became normal for the first time in my life!

It sounds to me like you are pretty aware that you cannot tolerate dairy. So i would definitely stick with a non dairy diet. You know your body best. Going gluten free will not hurt you. You will be haelthier and probably feel a lot better:

Also, something i learned when i came into all this is that intolerance and allergy are not the same thing. It is very important to recognize that. I tested negative for all food allergies but i have food intolerances.

I hope I've helped. Im on a blackberry and cant remember all of your questions. Im sure others will chime in too!

Good luck!

-Ali :)

-Ali :)

1/07 Gluten free after being severely ill and fatigued for a straight year and GI issues since teenager.

2/07 Negative blood work but phenomenal results on gluten-free diet.

2/14/07 Found to be critically deficient in vitamin D.

10/27/07 Dairy free due to being sick last two months.

10/28/07 Son, 9 yrs old, began elimination diet due to tummy issues and behavior issues.

Also dx with Fibromyalgia but not 100% sure i have it anymore now that I am on gluten free diet. Could have been Celiac all along!

Gluten free is the way to be! I feel soooo much better!

If your blood test for celiac was done after you had been gluten-free, it would be invalid. There are also a signficant number of false negatives.

Allergy testing doesn't find food intolerances. Correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but I think we are talking about difference immune reactions, immediate (IgE) versus delayed onset (IgA).

IBS isn't a real diagnosis. It is simply parroting your symptoms back to you in doctorese. As in, "I Be Stumped".

It doesn't sound like your doctor knows much about the area.

If you want a test, you could go with Enterolab. I felt better after taking certain things out of my diet, but I wanted more of a confirmation, if only to show to doubting relatives :rolleyes: Their tests work even if you've been off the food, at least up to 1 year.

From your response to dietary change, though, it seems like you clearly have a problem with wheat (if not gluten) and dairy. I suppose you could try barley and see if you have a problem. You can't know if you have difficulty with lactose, casein or both. You can try some lactose free product or take a lactaid pill -- if you still have problems, it is casein.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)