Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyxie63

Endocrine Disorders - Thyroid, Adrenal, Etc

I'm new to all this gluten stuff. Really new. Wet behind the ears new. Was doing an elimination re-challenge diet and, upon re-introducing wheat, had a stronger-than-expected reaction. This was yesterday. Have I mentioned I'm new? :P

Anyway, to the point....

Have any of you with hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, or other endocrine disorders/diseases had any improvement with these since going gluten-free?

Thanks!

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I noticed I needed less Thyroid meds once I was gluten-free.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Join eNewsletter

My body quit aching. I thought that I had arthritis 20 years ago. I had been taking arthritis medicine for years. I actually stopped taking it when Mobic turned generic. I reacted to the generic form for some reason. Unless I get glutened I don't have the body stiffness. I have been on synthroid for years. I did ask my doctor if it had changed and my level did stay the same. I can't remember how many months I had been gluten free when he checked that. I don't get the sinus infections that I used to. My eczema went away.

Join eNewsletter

Georgie and Wowzer,

Thanks for your replies! So things will get better? Good to know. :)

2/05 GERD

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

Join eNewsletter

Ok, more questions.. well one more.

For women - if you have had "female" problems in the past, has going gluten-free helped with that any? Have the symptoms of painful menses, PMS, or PCOS resolved/minimized?

I'm looking for hope here.

2/05 GERD

Join eNewsletter

My thyroid seemed to stabilize the first year I was gluten free. But then I encountered some other health problems, and had to have surgery. After the surgery, my thyroid went crazy again. I also started to notice I was reacting to soy, so I cut that out. I was having horrible periods, and the soy apparently was contributing to that. Also, my adrenals went out almost completely after the surgery, before that, it wasn't too bad. After I cut out the soy, I felt much better, and then I also realized it was casein that was causing the digestive problems and rash too. So, now that I cut out casein, and am on adrenal support, I'm feeling much better! I also found a birth control that is gluten, soy and casein free, which has helped with the cramps and pain from my periods. It can, and will get better!

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

Join eNewsletter

Ok, more questions.. well one more.

For women - if you have had "female" problems in the past, has going gluten-free helped with that any? Have the symptoms of painful menses, PMS, or PCOS resolved/minimized?

I'm looking for hope here.

My cramps are just as bad as they have always been, if not worse as i get older

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter