Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilgreen

Ds' Big Teeth Are Coming In Very Yellow

DS (almost 6) has so far lost his two front bottom teeth. The new teeth that have come in are yellow. His baby teeth are all healthy looking and he's never had a cavity. I suspect they're yellow due to celiac disease. He was only diagnosed late August. So, will all his big teeth be yellow?!? poor guy. Do we go see the gastroentologist about this or the dentist? Is there anything we can do to get them whiter or is he condemned to having yellow teeth? :(

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Unfortunately, the permanent teeth are formed inside the gums long before they come out. So, it is quite possible that they will all be yellow. It is also possible that his teeth are so yellow because he doesn't have enamel on them (common with people with celiac disease).

Dentists will whiten teeth with bleach (personally, I don't think that is healthy to do), or you could use a whitening toothpaste (same concern). Or he could have porcelain veneers attached to the front of his teeth when he is older. If he doesn't have enamel, he needs caps, or his teeth will get cavities and rot away eventually.

You definitely need to take your son to a dentist to have him evaluated. The gastro won't be able to help.

And yes, it is quite likely that the celiac disease has caused this.

I am sorry if this sounds terrible. But these days a lot of things can be done to fix teeth (none of them cheap, though). Good thing you are concerned enough to find help now. I am sure it will turn out fine in the end.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

The same thing happened to my now 9 year old daughter. Can't believe I didn't even think about Celiac as a possible cause. She did have a few cavities so I just chalked it up to bad genes. We have very soft, easily decayed teeth, regardless of care.

However, our dentist just cleaned them very well and was able to temporarily whiten them. As long as we go every six months, they stay pretty white. She used something laser like. She said she only uses it on some teeth. My other daughther didn't need the "laser tool" for her cleaning. My daughter with Celiac was so happy to see her teeth white. I didn't even realize how bad the yellow tint bothered her until they were spakly white! Good luck-

Join eNewsletter

I'm so sorry to hear that, I"m pretty sure it's from the Celiac desease! Muy Babydaughters teeth are all totally seethrough when they break through the gums, I hope it'll be a bit better with her second set of teeth then, allthough UI know that they are already in the gums waiting to come out in several years! I hope it'll help that we fouind out so ealry with her! I'm interested to see what your dentist says aobut hthis and how he can help! who knows what it's gonna be like with our kids!

The same thing happened to my now 9 year old daughter. Can't believe I didn't even think about Celiac as a possible cause. She did have a few cavities so I just chalked it up to bad genes. We have very soft, easily decayed teeth, regardless of care.

However, our dentist just cleaned them very well and was able to temporarily whiten them. As long as we go every six months, they stay pretty white. She used something laser like. She said she only uses it on some teeth. My other daughther didn't need the "laser tool" for her cleaning. My daughter with Celiac was so happy to see her teeth white. I didn't even realize how bad the yellow tint bothered her until they were spakly white! Good luck-

Susi with Shayden and Brandy

Shayden, pos. with DQ 2, pos. for Glutensensitivity with Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 45 Units

Brandy, pos. with DQ2 + DQ8, DX Celiac Nov.07, gluten-free since Nov. 1st 07, Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 63 Units

Me: Gastroscopy negative f. Celiac, IBS, Oesophagitis, Hiatus-Hernia

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter