Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kelsey

Water Retention!

hello, im an 18 year old female from Canada

ive always been a size 00, and could eat vicariously without worry. one day i woke up with an appetite like no other. i began eating more wheat and grains which i rarely ate before. My stomach would bloat to the size of a 7-8 month pregnant woman. the abdominal pain got SO bad that i was rolling on the bathroom floor thinking i would die. i was rushed into emergency asap but they said all i was, was low in iron! that was A WASTE OF TIME! the truth is before i got that blood work from the hospital (3 DAYS BEFORE) i was high in iron! So i started retaining water. i went from a size 00 to a size 2/3 in 1 month. i thought it was fat but it dosent look like fat.

i heard that u can retain water where it looks like fat. I eat a lot of food. and when people hear a lot- they dont realize how much. i can eat 5 large pizzas a day and STILL be hungry, its sick. yet ud think id be bigger than i am. i lost my period too which is weird. im always tired, i take iron pills that dont help. my joints are sore. im constipated but i used to have elephant like poops (sorry haha.) im thirsty a lot too. my skin gets itchy a lot as well

PLEASE, i need to know whats going on!. i miss being tiny me. i know its sounds bad because im lucky to still be small, but i mean when none of ur clothes fit u feel horrible.

it cant be normal to literally BINGE on food and then the next day/ morning feel HUNGRIER!

i get tests done soon, but do u guys think im celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

ive always been a size 00, and could eat vicariously without worry. one day i woke up with an appetite like no other. i began eating more wheat and grains which i rarely ate before. My stomach would bloat to the size of a 7-8 month pregnant woman. the abdominal pain got SO bad that i was rolling on the bathroom floor thinking i would die. i was rushed into emergency asap but they said all i was, was low in iron! that was A WASTE OF TIME! the truth is before i got that blood work from the hospital (3 DAYS BEFORE) i was high in iron! So i started retaining water. i went from a size 00 to a size 2/3 in 1 month. i thought it was fat but it dosent look like fat.

i heard that u can retain water where it looks like fat. I eat a lot of food. and when people hear a lot- they dont realize how much. i can eat 5 large pizzas a day and STILL be hungry, its sick. yet ud think id be bigger than i am. i lost my period too which is weird. im always tired, i take iron pills that dont help. my joints are sore. im constipated but i used to have elephant like poops (sorry haha.) im thirsty a lot too. my skin gets itchy a lot as well

PLEASE, i need to know whats going on!. i miss being tiny me. i know its sounds bad because im lucky to still be small, but i mean when none of ur clothes fit u feel horrible.

it cant be normal to literally BINGE on food and then the next day/ morning feel HUNGRIER!

That's a pretty serious symptom to just appear out of nowhere like that. Fluid retention is a symptom of Celiac Disease (as are some of the other things you mentioned), but I don't know enough about Celiac Disease to say if this is common or not, but it sounds like you've got some sort of digestive problem. The gastro doctor will probably evaluate you for parasites and a lot of other things as well.

I hope you find your answers soon. :)

Joy

Not gluten free yet because I'm waiting to be tested.

Wow, it is insane I have almost the same exact thing. Well literally the same exact except for the itchy skin. What was your result? I'm still waiting to be tested.

Wow, it is insane I have almost the same exact thing. Well literally the same exact except for the itchy skin. What was your result? I'm still waiting to be tested.

The original post was from about 3 years ago but the water retention issue is a common one for us. After I was diagnosed I lost so much water weight I dropped down from a size 12 to a 4 in less than a month and also lost a full shoe size. When glutened I have my belly blow up again to the point where I look preggers and many of us experience that. It is also not uncommon for some of us to eat a lot of food and not gain weight as we are not absorbing our food. There are also some of us who gain weight when we get stricken with this disease so that can happen also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)