Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpellegr

Freezing Containers

I'm pretty sure my kids are eventually going to have to go gluten-free, but being teenagers it will be hard for them. I want to stock the freezer with homemade stuff in single servings that can be microwaved, but I can't find anything similar to the disposable paper trays that something like Amy's comes in. I'll probably have to go with plastic non-disposable. Any suggestions for a brand that holds up well in the freezer or a restaurant supply place with something useful, disposable or not?

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here's what works and doesn't for us.

Ziplock style freezer bags work best for us. Take a cookie or muffin out. Put it on a plate-paper or other and warm it up. They lay flat and take up less room and we go through stuff fast enough that I don't have problems with freezer burn. For pnacakes, muffins etc. I arrange them in the bag and then put it on a tray in the freezer until frozen, then remove the tray. That way they retain their shape and don't stick together. For meatballs, breaded items etc, I arrange on a piece of waxed or parchment paper on a tray and freeze until somewhat firm, then put in plastc bags. Plastic containers are not working for us. They tend to fall out and whack us or crash onto the floor. The thin Glad disposable containers with the blue lids break easily. The sturdier plasic ones don't break with various sizes and shapes don't fit well and they're slippery. The white oval pyrex with lids work great for individual portions of entrees or small meals. They are heavy enough to stay put and fit well in our freezer and stack well. It's more of an investment but they'll last forever.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies