This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Wheat Allergy...

Kathy'sUnicorns

Kathy'sUnicorns Apprentice

I went to the Allergist yesterday and I tested negative for an allergy to wheat. He said he thinks I had a false negative on my blood test since being gluten free has improved my symptoms greatly.

On one hand I want to be able to eat all the "normal" stuff and not worry about what is in it, but on the other hand I don't really miss is that much. Only at certain times I may be like I would die to have a piece of that cake or roll with butter. I was such a carb junkie I am surprised it was so easy to become gluten free (Not that changing the stuff I ate was easy but by not having triscuits, bread, etc with no cravings).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

If he did allergy testing by skin scratching, you won't have a wheat allergy. Celiac isn't a wheat allergy, it's a gluten intolerance. We don't stop breathing or go into shock when we consume gluten, it just slowly breaks down our immune systems. Some people *do* have wheat allergies, but most Celiac's do NOT. That would explain why the test came back negative.

Kassandra

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree with your allergist. It was good he made sure you didn't also have an allergy to wheat and that he acknowledged the probability that your celiac blood test was negative. Good for you for sticking with the diet and I am so glad it is helping you.

If you can find the Gluten Free Pantries Chocolate cake mix that is pretty good and I like the spice cake one with lots of stuff added to it. Bananas and Enjoy Life chocolate chips go nicely with the spice cake as does some nuts and a little extra spice. I think the box has a gingerbread cookie recipe on it too if you like those for the holidays. Kinnicknick makes some pretty good baked goods also. Not that we need these things but it is so nice to have a big slab of chocolate cake once in a while.

glutenindianagirl Newbie
I went to the Allergist yesterday and I tested negative for an allergy to wheat. He said he thinks I had a false negative on my blood test since being gluten free has improved my symptoms greatly.

On one hand I want to be able to eat all the "normal" stuff and not worry about what is in it, but on the other hand I don't really miss is that much. Only at certain times I may be like I would die to have a piece of that cake or roll with butter. I was such a carb junkie I am surprised it was so easy to become gluten free (Not that changing the stuff I ate was easy but by not having triscuits, bread, etc with no cravings).

The best thing to do would be Go to a GI doctor and request and endoscopy be performed to concluded whether you have the Celiac Sprue .

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

As stated above, celiac disease is NOT a gluten allergy!!! It is a very serious autoimmune disorder, but most of us would test negative for gluten allergy, since we are not allergic. It's good that he thought of having you go off gluten, but I'm kind of shocked that he didn't run the Celiac Panel bloodwork in addition to the wheat allergy test, since celiac is more common than wheat allergy.

Celiac is serious enough that most of us are not tempted to cheat--occasional cheating can set off our immune systems, and horrible conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, Fibromylagia, MS, lupus, etc. can be the result, not to mention intestinal cancers.

SO for me, thanks very much, but no thanks , I'll turn the gluteny dessert down, no problem. I like feeling healthy! Besides, there are total geniuses out there who have invented fantastic recipes for cakes, cookies, breads, pizza crusts, etc. using other flours and starches--those recipes taste as good or better than the gluteny originals. Even my gluten-eating family agrees--and I have to fight them for every bite!

sparkles Contributor

I tested negative for a wheat allergy but with flattened villa and a positive biopsy, there is no doubt that I have celiac disease. An allergy is a whole different ballgame than celiac disease.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
The best thing to do would be Go to a GI doctor and request and endoscopy be performed to concluded whether you have the Celiac Sprue .

Except that this is only conclusive if it is positive. If it is negative the test is meaningless because of the high number of false negatives. Celiac damage is often patchy and easy to miss and also many doctors do not recognize the earlier stages of damage. The best test is response to the diet at this point, at least until the US starts using a mucosal challenge of mouth or rectal tissue and biopsy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived