Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi there everyone, have been gone for quite some time, and many tests later with obvious positive results, but have a biopsies coming up and was wondering who has had the endoscope and what it was like, I have had a colonoscopy and found that ok, but I have worse a problem with people numbing my throat I have panic attacks when i cant feel parts of me! thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just had the endoscope in November and it was nothing....I also had a colonscopy at the same time and the drug they gave me I guess did not put me "out" per se....but didn't remember a thing and there was not discomfort of any kind when I was fully aware. Pretty sleepy for several hours afterward, but not a problem. Your doctor should tell you ahead of time what they will give you, and if not, I sure would ask. Good luck.....you should do fine.

I think the anticipation of the endoscopy is worse than the actual procedure. For me it really was not a big deal. They gave me versed and fentanyl. This combo has an amnesia effect - you may find you do not remember much of the procedure afterward, even though you are partially awake. It also supresses the gag reflex. The prep is also easy - just no food/drink 6 hours beforehand.

I had 4 endoscopies in the year of my diagnosis. The only one that was even slightly unpleasant was the one I had done when I was 12 weeks pregnant because they didn't use as much sedation. But even that one was not bad.

Good luck with your endoscopy.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Guest j_mommy

Same thing for me! Don't remember much except I had a bit of a sore throat afterwards.

Make sure they take many samples(5-10).

Good Luck!

My experience is basically the same as the other posts have described. I was so nervous but it ended up not being a big deal at all. I had a colonoscopy at the same time so the procedure seemed like a breeze compared to the prep.

I don't remember my throat feeling numb or anything after the procedure, just a little sore/scratchy. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about how easy and quick the whole things is.

Thankyou all, thats what I was hoping to hear, and what I was told by the office but was just curious to see others experiences. Im sure all will go smoothly! I know they will do multiple biopsies, they have with my other one so Ill be quite happy making sure they have enough not to want to do it again lol. My fears are settled compared to what they were so thanks to all of you, I love input!

Adriana