Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barbara A

Increased Appetite

I was diagnosed in mid-December, and ever since I changed my diet to gluten free I am hungry. I eat alot and need to snack frequently. It is odd that my appetite has increased, bcause my absorption should be improving. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am trying to gain weight but even with all this eating/hunger it is a struggle.

Thanks for your response.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think a lot of us experience this. Your body may still be recovering from years of nutrient lack. As long as you are not having any issues I would try not to worry about it and just eat good, naturally gluten free food. If however you are still having digestion issues this could be a sign that you have another intolerance. The most common secondary intolerances for us are dairy (casien) and soy. If you are still having symptoms you may want to make sure you are not having an issue with one or the other. If your not having symptoms I would not worry about it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Sure is a problem for me. After diagnoses in 06, I cant stop eating. Before they figured it out, I had lost 40 pounds in 3 months, couldnt walk and host of other problems. Since then I gained back 60 pounds. Problem is I should have stayed at where I was when I lost the 40.

Only I had lost muscle and not the fat. I Still cant eat the salads and other greens without causing problems so I tend to eat high caloric snacks which doesnt sound like your problem. I'm still always hungry and dont find most of what I eat fulling even with the calories.

Hope you can find something to enjoy thats fulling and does cause a swing in the other direction.

ken

I was diagnosed in mid-December, and ever since I changed my diet to gluten free I am hungry. I eat alot and need to snack frequently. It is odd that my appetite has increased, bcause my absorption should be improving. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am trying to gain weight but even with all this eating/hunger it is a struggle.

Thanks for your response.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator