Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jo Ann

French Bread

Recently tried Bette Hagman's French Bread recipe and want to thank whoever recommended it. It was so-o-o good. Is it possible to make this in a regular size bread pan -- maybe increasing the recipe another half? We would like to make it large enough for sandwiches, but hate to waste the ingredients if it would not turn out. If anyone has tried this, would appreciate you advice. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Jo Ann,

I am so sorry, I did not see this yesterday. I posted in the french bread thread I had started as I had said I was going to try this as a regular loaf and post the results.

I made a regular sandwich loaf out of this yesterday. It came out very nice. Crunchy on the outside and soft in the center, just like the french bread loaf.

I did not make any changes to the dough. I cooked it longer and still could have cooked it just a little more.

When I do it again, I will let it rise a while longer before baking and cook a longer. It may require foil on the top for the extra cooking time to keep it from getting to dark.

I can't give you good estimates on times because, I baked it in my bread machine, which I wish I hadn't done, because it is malfunctioning. Any way it still came out very nice. I just think it could have been perfect with better baking and rising.

The loaf is a decent size for sandwiches, but it would be nice to have it a little taller. The shape and texture were beautiful. The taste was like the french bread. I love it.

I am glad you are having as good results as I am. It is so nice to have decent bread again.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

Thank you, WW340. I'm going to try the recipe in a regular loaf pan and see how it turns out. Will follow your advice and let it rise longer and bake longer. It is really delicious bread. The only draw back is that the non-celiacs like it just as much so it doesn't last very long. Actually, our 15 yo. grandson is the celiac, and he's always pleased when others eat and enjoy his food, too. Our daughter (his mother) does not test positive, but she tried the gluten-free diet and feels so much better that she is gluten-free by choice. Will post results here when I have time to bake the French bread again.