Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Gluten Sensitivity Vs Celiacs

hi

i was diagnosed with a slightly elevated gluten sensitivity by Enterolab. my # was 20 with 10 being the cutoff. I decided to go gluten free 4 months ago. My symptoms really havent changed that dramatically and wanted to know how strict i need to be with the gluten-free diet.

I know in celiacs there is actual damage to the intestines, but is that also the case if someone just tests positive for the antibodies?

thanks

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi JasonD2, Why did you get the testing done? Were you having symptoms? I went off gluten for about 2 months this summer (I was having periodic, not consistent, bouts of painful abdominal bloating, gassiness and pinned it down to gluten products) and I had to say during the time I was off it I didn't notice a huge difference with my symptoms. What I did notice is that when I went back on I really noticed a big difference...I hadn't realized how gassy I was (my son finds it amusing), changes in bathroom habits, and other things I hadn't paid much attention to.

Maybe keep a log book right now of what you are eating gluten free and any symptoms you notice. Then try a gluten challenge for a week or two and note any symptoms...see if you notice a change.

It is important to note that some people with Celiac have damage to their villi with no symptoms, and are at risk of further, significant damage without sticking with the diet. I guess if you don't feel any symptoms it can be hard to stick with the diet as you probably feel you aren't hurting yourself. However, you could be setting yourself up for some signficant health problems down the road. You should read the book Dangerous Grains. In their view anyone with Gluten Sensitivity needs to be just as diligent about staying gluten free as someone with Celiac.

HLA-DQ 1,1 (5,6)

Gluten free - March 08

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter