Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ar8

Any Amount Of Gluten = Same Effect?

I am trying to remove gluten from my diet to discover if I have a sensitivity, while I wait for results from enterolab. What I am wondering is the following:

If I am mistakenly consuming small amounts of gluten from cross contamination from household utensils, pots and pans, or trace ingredients (though I AM CHECKING), would the effect on my body be the same as if I were still eating bread? In other words, by taking out all major sources of gluten, if I were truly gluten intolerant, would I feel the difference?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is hard to say. We are all different.

Immediately you might notice a difference or improvement, but then if you are still eating trace amounts of gluten, that difference might dissappear quite quickly and you could be back to how you were before. I dieted once, and removed a big percentage of the gluten, as in bread that I was usually eating and I did feel better, but that improvement was short lived, as I was still eating gluten.

Then a while later I trialled gluten free, but I was not totallay gluten-free, for about a week. To be honest, I did not notice a difference, but I was still eating little bits of gluten in my food, so I gave it up as a bad joke, and went back to eating gluten.

Then 6 months later, I re-trialled gluten free eating. This time I tried harder and tried to take out all gluten products, no matter how tiny the amount of gluten in them. It worked, I noticed within a week that so many things had improved. It was from that point, that if ever I ate gluten, I would feel horrendous, so I had my answer, gluten was the problem.

Cathy

Join eNewsletter

It is hard to say. We are all different.

Immediately you might notice a difference or improvement, but then if you are still eating trace amounts of gluten, that difference might dissappear quite quickly and you could be back to how you were before. I dieted once, and removed a big percentage of the gluten, as in bread that I was usually eating and I did feel better, but that improvement was short lived, as I was still eating gluten.

Then a while later I trialled gluten free, but I was not totallay gluten-free, for about a week. To be honest, I did not notice a difference, but I was still eating little bits of gluten in my food, so I gave it up as a bad joke, and went back to eating gluten.

Then 6 months later, I re-trialled gluten free eating. This time I tried harder and tried to take out all gluten products, no matter how tiny the amount of gluten in them. It worked, I noticed within a week that so many things had improved. It was from that point, that if ever I ate gluten, I would feel horrendous, so I had my answer, gluten was the problem.

Cathy

Hi cathy-

This is all quite interesting. What do you mean by "little bits of gluten"? Can you give an example? Does that mean, using pots and pans that were used with gluten, or do you mean, you were eating cross contaminated products? Or that you were even eating things with small amounts of flour in the ingredients?? I am just trying to figure out why yesterday my symptoms all came back even though I am still "gluten free" (though I am not worrying about cross contamination in the kithen....)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter