Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamasaidso

Finally, A Diagnosis Of Dh

I am just a few weeks into celiac diagnosis and yesterday my new dermatologist confirmed DH on my arms. That's the only place I have rashes. The itching and burning is starting to ease up a bit on the diet. She gave me TMC-compound to relieve itching and seems to work. I've had five years of wondering what this is and no doctor has been able to diagnose it. So I'm hoping when it clears up i can have chemical peels to help with the scars. Would be nice to wear short sleeves again. I'm just relieved to finally know what this is.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations on your diagnosis. Even though having celiac disease isn't fun, it is good to know what to do to feel better. I hope your rashes clear up soon.

You do know that it can take one to two years for deposits under the skin to clear, and outbreaks are still possible during that time, right? Mind you, they will likely be milder, and it doesn't have to happen.

Plus, when you get glutened (which is pretty inevitable) you might get outbreaks.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I am just a few weeks into celiac diagnosis and yesterday my new dermatologist confirmed DH on my arms. That's the only place I have rashes. The itching and burning is starting to ease up a bit on the diet. She gave me TMC-compound to relieve itching and seems to work. I've had five years of wondering what this is and no doctor has been able to diagnose it. So I'm hoping when it clears up i can have chemical peels to help with the scars. Would be nice to wear short sleeves again. I'm just relieved to finally know what this is.

It is good you finally know. You may want to watch out for iodine in salt and in stuff like vitamins for a bit. I would rethink the chemical peel idea. The scars will fade and if they are really troublesome there are cosmetics that can cover them. You don't want to risk furthur damage by burning the skin. Be careful of all toiletries and such as well as foods and as Ursa said the deposits will take a while to leave the skin. Until then even small amounts of CC may reactivate.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for replies. I had a funny feeling that this may take a while to heal. Didn't realize it can hang around that long under skin, but doesn't surprise me in the least. I am constantly learning something new about this. So, I should avoid iodine? Does that mean shrimp? Why does iodine aggravate this? Guess I have more research to do. I have had no gluten for two weeks and today my arms are on fire. I must have slipped somewhere. Maybe my vitamins? I think I need to go to the coping forum. :(

You guys are great. Thanks so much for your help. Will put peels on back burner for now and focus on healing from the inside. :)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter