Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puddy

Gene Test Or Antibody Test?

I'm diagnosed with celiac disease for 1 month with positive bloodwork and biopsy. I had not gastro symptoms. I was anemic and had osteoporosis and the doctor tested me because of that. When I asked my doctor about having my 23 year old son and 21 year old twins tested she didn't seem too concerned, but after pushing her on it she said OK. She only wants do the antibody test. Shouldn't she also test for the gene? From what I've read, if they don't have the gene, they won't have to worry about celiac disease for the rest of their lives. They have no symptoms at this time. If the antibody tests come back negative, then we still won't be sure if they are carriers. I just feel if they carrying the gene then they can be vigilant in watching for symptoms. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am negative for DQ2 or DQ8 but still very gluten sensitive. There are several like that here on the forums.

Just do a search on Dr. Hasjivassiliou and he sais that about 20% of the gluten ataxia patients are DQ1.

The thing is, the other genes like DQ1, DQ7 and DQ9 can be celiac too, but the incidence is about one tenth of the incidence in DQ2 or 8.

(found in an article about DQ7 and celiac)

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter