Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i am trying to figure out what IBS is exactly. what are the symptoms? my entire life i have never had regular bowel movements and i am wondering if they are IBS related.

THANKS!

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i am trying to figure out what IBS is exactly. what are the symptoms? my entire life i have never had regular bowel movements and i am wondering if they are IBS related.

THANKS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

from www.helpforibs.com

Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome - What Are IBS Symptoms?

It's important to verify that your symptoms match those of IBS before you accept this diagnosis. As noted, Irritable Bowel Syndrome is characterized by its symptoms: continuous or recurrent lower abdominal pain or cramping (from mild to excruciating) in association with altered bowel motility (diarrhea, constipation, or both). Attacks may strike suddenly at any time of day or night, and may occasionally - though not typically - wake you from a sound sleep. Gas and bloating are common, but vomiting isn't, though it can occur due to nausea from the pain. Upper GI symptoms are not a typical part of the syndrome. For women, attacks are often associated with menstruation. Passing blood, running a fever, swollen extremities, and joint pain are not symptoms of IBS, and point to other disorders. IBS is diagnosed in part by the use of the official diagnostic criteria known as the Rome II Guidelines.

gluten-free since 9/30/09

positive gene test 8/11/09

endoscopy 9/30/09 (awaiting results)

Join eNewsletter

IBS doesn't 'have' symptoms, rather it is a bunch of symptoms. Therefore, it isn't really a valid diagnosis, as it is caused by 'something'. An irritable bowel has a cause, which needs to be figured out, so it can be relieved.

It could be celiac disease, or crohn's, or colitis (which all respond well to a gluten-free diet). It could be caused by intolerances to a number of foods like gluten, soy, dairy, nightshades or whatever you are intolerant to. Or it could be Lyme's disease, which causes leaky gut and hence intolerances, which will then often be 'diagnosed' as IBS as well.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter