This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated

bailey4

bailey4 Newbie

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for all this great info here. I have a few questions heres my history.

Forever I have complained about terrible stomach pains and const. resulting in diar. after 4-5 days. Doc sent me home with Metamucil.

For the last year I have been searching for the reason of my exhaustion (everyone is tired is not an answer I took to kindly) Falling asleep at dinner is not normal. I have been to my gyn who wanted me on prozac, my doc who got back my blood work with a positive ana who said its not high enough to worry about, a hematologist who thought I might have chronic fatigue and a sleep dr who told me have restless leg syndrome, and wanted to test me for narcolepsy after telling him I changed my diet (he told me that a day of cheating on a diet wouldn't make me sick)

Started this new low carb diet and started feeling a lot better, went to a nutritionist who said I had inadvertantly taken thie gluten out of my system. Called my Dr. to see if they would send me for a celiac bloodwork, he did after telling me he's sure I dont have it I dont have all the symptoms. Got my bloodwork back Gliadin IGG Neg, GLiadin IGA positive ttG Neg. Called him and he said that I dont have an autoimmune problem and that he doesn't take much stock in the positive reading. I asked if that I had cut my gluten intake way back (still learning whats free if that would make a difference he said no) Told him that I had virtually taken all the gluten out of my system since the bloodtest and tried to eat some gluten items and that it made me sick. He said you probably have a mild case of it and that some people are more sensitive to it. And he said that the only thing I can do for myself is to not eat it, there is no med for it. (I hate medicines and refuse to take them have had many numerous reactions over the years but he made me feel like I wanted a magic pill.)

Since I have been off the gluten I am able to stay up at night, have a ton of energy and am regular without the pain, bloating. I am going to continue with the diet as I have never felt so good, but should I look for a new doc, he wont take me seriously (as if any of them do) , what does just a positvie Gliadin IGA mean and could gluten sesitivity damage the villi as well?

Sorry so long, have been looking for help for so long.

L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome, you have come to the right place for info and support. If you are happy with your doctor other than the gluten issue then you could stay with him. You might even print out some of the stuff from links on the home page that could educate him a bit. You don't need his permission to be gluten free, after all. You may find that you really don't need him a whole lot after you get on the diet anyway. :) At least that was my case.

The best test of the diet is how you feel on it and even more important how you react when you add it back in. That is basically a gluten challenge and for you the return of distress was obvious. You should have a bone density scan done and also get checked for anemia if you haven't already. It would be helpful if your doctor would check your folate, B12 and calcium levels also. If he refuses to do any of these tests you may be forced to find someone else or if female your OB/GYN might order them, mine was quite helpful with stuff like that.

Archived