Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kickboxer

Other Food Allergies Going Away

Hello, I am new to the forum and have 2 boys ages 6 and 12 who have celiac disease. Both have a very high amount of food allergies as well.Casein, almonds ,sunflower seeds peanuts,peas,amaranth,apples,strawberries,grapes,eggs,soy,chocolate,poultry,all dairy,gluten, and one of the hardest Rice!!and dyes which has been quite a challenge. I cannot pick up packaged items in the store. Everything is baked at home. Which at times can be very challenging in todays world.

My question is this, is there anyone out there who has cured thier food allergies after finding thye had celiac disease? Can these other allergies go away? It would be so much easier if thye could add back some things back to thier diets. I worry they are not getting proper nutrition. I do give supplements, but still worry. I started researching and finding their allergies on my own. No doctors would believe that my boys had food allergies. Mt youngest was protraying symptoms of ADHD and aspergers, now he is perfectly fine since i discovered all of his allergies, but it is still a challenge with the school district. Whenever he has something he is allergic to he becomes severly hyper and his teacher cannot handle this. I mention to them that he has had something he is not suppose to eat which causes this behaivior, but they are not willing to except the fact that food is linked to behaivior.And the school psycologist always is blaming it on something else. It can be very frustrating. I only hope when we move to Arizona this year we find a school district a little more open minded about these things.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi kickboxer, welcome to the forum.

I don't have any specific answers for you, I'm bumping this up in hopes someone else might have some insight to share with you.

I can say that it isn't uncommon to develop additional intolerances/allergies after diagnosis. I think if you read different threads on this forum you will find that many are struggling with this.

That's terrible you aren't getting much support from the school, I would think in this day and age people would realize food allergies are serious and if your child needs to omit things from their diet they would respect that.

Join eNewsletter

Your childrens' allergic type responses could be due to 'Leaky Gut Syndrome' allowing undigested food to cross the gut wall into the bloodstream.

When foods, particularly complex carbohydrates such as sugar, lactose, grains and starches, cannot be digested properly due to the damage to the intestine, they become food for the bacteria. The bacteria then get seriously out of control and turns into a kind of internal 'dry rot'. Microscopic 'holes' are torn in the gut wall and particles of different foods will pass through causing the immune system to launch a response which often triggers behavioural problems.

The only way to deal with it properly is to give the digestion a rest by keeping to simple foods for a while. Meat, fish and poultry, fresh vegetables and fruit, and a little honey and some nuts are the easiest foods to digest. The Pecanbread website has quite a lot of recipes to help children who need to be on a very restricted diet for a while if that is of any help. It is geared towards children with Autism but is useful for both children and adults with any problems that indicate a need to be on a restricted diet.

This must be very frustrating and difficult both for you and them. When my digestion collapsed I cut straight to the chase and went right back to basics and it is really giving my gut a chance to heal. I just eat plain basic foods with very little in the way of carbs or sugar as well as no dairy or gluten. Now, after two months I can now tolerate a few foods that I couldn't cope with a few weeks ago, like eggs and the backache I was getting nearly every time I ate is all but gone now so I am sure that I have done the best thing to really get my gut healing.

If we keep eating foods that continue to damage the gut it will take a lot longer to recover. The problem is that foods that give us an 'allergic' reaction are not necessarily the foods that are doing the damage, they are merely foods that are crossing the barrier triggering a histamine response.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Join eNewsletter

My question is this, is there anyone out there who has cured thier food allergies after finding thye had celiac disease? Can these other allergies go away? It would be so much easier if thye could add back some things back to thier diets. now he is perfectly fine since i discovered all of his allergies, but it is still a challenge with the school district. Whenever he has something he is allergic to he becomes severly hyper and his teacher cannot handle this. I mention to them that he has had something he is not suppose to eat which causes this behaivior, but they are not willing to except the fact that food is linked to behaivior.I only hope when we move to Arizona this year we find a school district a little more open minded about these things.

Join eNewsletter

I just thought of something about the rice allergy. If you figured that out by simple dietary reaction, SOME rice can have a coating that contains gluten, or has been cross contaminated. Many people on these forums seem to think white rice is bad, but everytime I eat it, my gut thanks me immediately! It's so simple to digest. I think I read somewhere that there was a chemical? enzyme? in cooled rice that actually promoted healing in the intestines. Sounds whacky, and I'm sure you can find research to support anything, so it is important to do what is right for your gut.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter