Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrsfish_94

I Just Wanted To Say....

I just wanted to post to you all...since I haven't is quite some time... that my daughter who was thought to have Celiac was tested by a DNA (blood)test. She has tested unlikely to have Celiac. So we have kinda ruled it out. But have any others on this site have the same result and really did have it? My husband is dead set on my daughter NOT having a biopsy done. I am wondering what some other parents or patients opinions are? (FYI...no one in our family and extended family have or has had celiac.)

Thanks

Mrsfish

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We too refused the bio. However, after being on a gluten free diet my son is much happier and has finally gained some weight. It has been wonderful for us. I think you have to think about how difficult it is to be on the diet and what the pro's and con's are of staying on the diet for a while and seeing if there is any differences. Our doctor has labeled him with celiac based on the prositive response to the diet, but every doctor is different.

Julie D.

My daughter was DNA tested and it came back negative. She was very, very sick at 14 months old and when we put her on a gluten free diet within 5 days all of her symptoms went away. It was like a miracle. Our doctor has diagnosed her Celiac because of the dramatic and obvious improvement. I questioned the DNA test too, but not all celiac genes have been identified to be tested for. We had our daughter tested by Enterolab just to have a medical diagnosis on hand - that came back positive.

It's very possible that it's not Celiac Disease, but an intolerance or even an allergy that is causing your daughters issues. Which would not test positive for Celiac, as Celiac is neither of those things. So, gluten-free may still be the answer.

Bridget