This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oops! I Got Glutened Through My Own Stupidity

sneezydiva

sneezydiva Apprentice

I got glutened at my favorite ice cream place the Friday night. I have been there many, many times since going gluten-free, and I have never had a problem before. They are a local mom & pop type place, and they very nicely checked for gluten ingredients in their soft serve, sprinkles, hot fudge etc... I usually just get a cup of vanilla with chocolate sprinkles, and I never have had a problem. But this ime, there were some visible crumbs from an ice cream cone on my ice cream. I think a cone may have been accidentally dropped in the container of sprinkles. Stupidly, I just fished the crumbs out and threw them away and kept on eating. So I had D later that night and in the morning as well as a return of my stomach pain. I didn't feel great over the weekend, but I could still function. I'm feeling much better today.

But I'm actually kinda glad it happened because my husband saw the 2 little ice cream cone pieces, and now sees and understands what just a little bit can do to me. He's been very supportive overall, but not great about leaving crumbs, and this has motivated him to improve that. It has also opened my eyes to how well I've been doing on the diet. Despite the much smaller amount of gluten, this reaction was just like the couple of times I cheated or accidentally ate a gluten filled food. I'm proud of myself that I have done so well so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona Newbie

I did that to myself last week. I was away from work and my desk was used by someone who left crumbs all over it - not thinking much of it, I wiped them away with my hand [im still new at this :)]. I had a horrible reaction that day and it continued to the next day and I couldnt come into work. My boss was skeptical that crumbs wouldve caused such a reaction, but his boss wasnt. Good thing. She said nobody is allowed to use my desk anymore.

We recently moved floors and my new desk was full of crumbs and I had to "decontaminate" it first. Everyone thought I was nuts! But better to be thought of as nuts than be sick for days!

Geordie Tom Newbie
I got glutened at my favorite ice cream place the Friday night. I have been there many, many times since going gluten-free, and I have never had a problem before. They are a local mom & pop type place, and they very nicely checked for gluten ingredients in their soft serve, sprinkles, hot fudge etc... I usually just get a cup of vanilla with chocolate sprinkles, and I never have had a problem. But this ime, there were some visible crumbs from an ice cream cone on my ice cream. I think a cone may have been accidentally dropped in the container of sprinkles. Stupidly, I just fished the crumbs out and threw them away and kept on eating. So I had D later that night and in the morning as well as a return of my stomach pain. I didn't feel great over the weekend, but I could still function. I'm feeling much better today.

But I'm actually kinda glad it happened because my husband saw the 2 little ice cream cone pieces, and now sees and understands what just a little bit can do to me. He's been very supportive overall, but not great about leaving crumbs, and this has motivated him to improve that. It has also opened my eyes to how well I've been doing on the diet. Despite the much smaller amount of gluten, this reaction was just like the couple of times I cheated or accidentally ate a gluten filled food. I'm proud of myself that I have done so well so far.

cpicini Rookie

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks back at Chili's. Silly me thought that by them having a gluten free menu that the server actually knew about the restrictions. So when my gluten-free meal came to the table there was a nice big piece of garlic toast on the plate. Shame on the chef as well. Like an IDIOT I just wiped the crumbs off my plate (the bread didn't touch any other food). Well needless to say shortly after my meal and during the movie I was pretty sick. I'm just too nice when ordering out.

Archived