Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guzelda

How To Know If Infant Has Celiac?

My 7mnth old son has had diarrhea, mucus and bloody stool along with excessive gas and cramping since beginning solid foods about 6wks ago. First doctor said he had a virus but diarrhea and gas has continued. I began to realize that this may have started when we first gave him rice cereal and then let him eat cheerios and zweiback toasts. My father has been diagnosed with celiac and I have not yet been tested although I have no symptoms. How can I know if my infant has celiac disease. Is it just a matter of eliminating gluten and seeing how he does since he is so young. Can he have the blood test done at this young age? TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You could try eliminating gluten to see if it makes a different, but you're not supposed to run formal tests (bloodwork, biopsies, etc.) until babies are a certain age--I'm not sure exactly what the recommend age is.

I would pursue testing. I think that testing can be done at this age. I put my daughter on the gluten free diet without being tested. She improved dramatically, but I wish now I had a definitive diagnosis. I am unwilling to put her through a gluten challenge now because I don't want to see her sick again. My advice is to get tested before you try the gluten-free diet. I think I have read somewhere that testing in infants can be less conclusive than in older children. Someone else on the board will probably be able to advise you on that.