Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest hightop girl

Terrible Cake... Help

Guest hightop girl

I made the chocolate rum cake from Bette Hegman's book, but it was horrible. Good thing it was for my own birthday and not someone else's. It was my first attempt at baking gluten free, so the mistakes may be obvious to you all, but I need help.

1) I live in Colorado Springs, but I didn't adjust anything for altitude.

2) It called for bean flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, and xanthum gum. I had everything except tapioca flour, so i used potato flour (I don't think it was starch).

3) It had zucchini, 3 eggs and 2 egg whites, and 1 1/2 sticks butter... I did all of that + 1/3 c rum.

4) I did everything else the recipe said, and it was dry and heavy, and not very chocolatey.

It was a lot of work and pretty disappointing. I try not to use too much rice flour because it gives me a stomach ache, but if that works better, I can make an exception when making dessert.

Any suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

2) It called for bean flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, and xanthum gum. I had everything except tapioca flour, so i used potato flour (I don't think it was starch).

I think there is the problem. Tapioca flour is really fine starch, and potato flour makes things heavy. You can substitute arrowroot flour or corn starch for the tapioca flour, but not potato flour (while potato starch may have been alright, but I am not sure).

This is my opinion, somebody else may see it differently.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest hightop girl
I think there is the problem. Tapioca flour is really fine starch, and potato flour makes things heavy. You can substitute arrowroot flour or corn starch for the tapioca flour, but not potato flour (while potato starch may have been alright, but I am not sure).

This is my opinion, somebody else may see it differently.

thanks i'll get some next time.

I made the chocolate rum cake from Bette Hegman's book, but it was horrible. Good thing it was for my own birthday and not someone else's. It was my first attempt at baking gluten free, so the mistakes may be obvious to you all, but I need help.

1) I live in Colorado Springs, but I didn't adjust anything for altitude.

3) It had zucchini, 3 eggs and 2 egg whites, and 1 1/2 sticks butter... I did all of that + 1/3 c rum.

4) I did everything else the recipe said, and it was dry and heavy, and not very chocolatey.

It was a lot of work and pretty disappointing. I try not to use too much rice flour because it gives me a stomach ache, but if that works better, I can make an exception when making dessert.

Any suggestions.

I agree about the potato flour, too heavy. Also this one surprises people, butter isn't always the best thing in a cake. Oil makes a much softer crumb, try half oil and half butter, although I think 1 1/2 cups is a bit too much in the first place.

What chocolate did it call for and how much?

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

This is the recipe my friends on the bakingcircle make. It is a King Arther flour recipe.

SUB out the flour for a gluten free flour blend, add xanthan gum-I'm guessing 1 1/2 tsp or maybe 2, I would have to go read the guidelines first though. Increase the baking powder to 1 tsp. Sorry though, no rum in the recipe but you could add rum to it.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This moist, coarse-grained cake has a pleasing hint of spice along with the chocolate. The semisweet chocolate glaze on top provides a nice contrast to the sweet-chocolate cake.

1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter or margarine

1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil

1 3/4 cups (12 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour milk*, yogurt, or buttermilk

2 1/2 cups (10 5/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cloves

2 cups shredded (1 medium) zucchini

1/2 cup (3 ounces) chocolate chips

additional chocolate chips for garnish (about 1 cup)

*Sour milk is easily prepared by stirring 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup of milk, then waiting 5 minutes; the milk will "clabber" (look curdled).

Preheat the oven to 324

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

This is a nice chocolate cake that has never failed me (and non celiacs gobble it up too).

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup rice flour

1 cup cocoa, sifted

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature (if you use unsalted, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

3 large eggs

2 egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 9

Hey there,

I am also in CO Springs. My friend just made me a yummy gluten-free Cheesecake for my Bday May 15. Let me know if you would like to get together on of these days.