Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sarah8793

Moving To Central New Jersey

We will be moving to Central New Jersey this summer. A little south of Trenton. Can anyone tell me what is available in the way of shopping for groceries, and eating out? Thanks!

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am from NJ, but I do not know anything about that area....sorry I cannot be of help.

Where are you living now?

NJ has Wegman's stores and Whole Foods; some Trader Joe's here and there.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Here are some places in central Jersey to shop for gluten-free stuff. All are accessible from Rt 1 as you go north from the Trenton area. On Quakerbridge Road there is a little shop called DeLiteful Foods. They have all kinds of gluten-free stuff, whole freezers full of breads, pastry, etc. Further up Rt 1 are a Whole Foods and a Wegman's - you can see Whole Foods from the road, and at the moment I can't think of the name of the shopping complex where the Wegman's is, but it's in with Kohl's, Target, etc. On Nassau St in Princeton is Olive May, a health food store with some gluten-free brands I have never seen anywhere else. The only restaurant around with a gluten-free menu is PF Chang's in the Marketfair Mall on Rt 1. If you're in the Pennington area up rt 31 the Pennington Market has an unusually high number of gluten-free items. If you want an Asian grocery store for buying rice flour cheap, there is a big one in Plainsboro on Plainsboro Rd. Hope this gets you started. If you're traveling, in Philadelphia you can visit Mr. Ritt's bakery (all gluten-free) and in Doylestown Jules Thin Crust Pizza has gluten-free pizza, although the thin crust is a little weird.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....