Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bklyn

Incident At Chilis

This experience was a first for me - went to Chili's (which I do often)

and ordered the citrus shrimp and chicken (which is in one of my books as safe) I told the waitress "I have a wheat allergy, I cannot have anything near else on my plate or near my food." My food came and the shrimp and chicken were sittting on top of rice (not in my book) and vegetables (not in my book) When I pointed this out to her she said, "Oh, I thought you said you were allergic to WEEDS, like parsley". Unbelievable!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I hope she didn't get a tip. When you say allergy she should have made shure she knew exactly what you were talking about.

I would be cautious about non-tipping.

Clearly, the girl misunderstood your communication -- she did not maliciously screw up your order. Servers remember who "stiffs" them and who does not. Those who "stiff" people tend to get bad tables and "new" servers (experienced servers refuse the tables).

I have never "stiffed" anyone, even if they make a mistake. Mistakes can be corrected.

FYI, when you get a server who knows about Celiac and treats you well, consider tipping 20% or higher. They will remember you and you will always get good service at that restaurant (plus, remember their name and request them the next time you go the restautant -- develop a relationship).

It is hard enough for us to find servers who understand our disorder -- most of them are 19-21 who are trying to get get by - so when we get a good one, reward them.

Friendly advice from an ex-server....