Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChloeLovesTheDoodlebops

Question About 12 Month Olds Test Results

My 12 month old sister has been gluten free since birth (excluding breastmilk for first 2 weeks) I am a self-diagnosed celiac, so we are being very careful and maybe a little paranoid at times, but we want to make sure we're doing the right thing. I remember reading that the IgA and tTG detect damage to the villi, and my concern is since she is already gluten free, and really not liking it, could it be a false negative? Here's what I can understand off the results,

Celiac Disease Panel

Endomysial antibody IgA Negative

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA 1

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 14

Tryptase 6.0

F004 Wheat <0.05

I have more information I could email to anyone who can help. Thank you all, and good luck to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Unfortunately, those results are useless in determining if your sister has celiac disease or not. All it shows is, that she is gluten-free and is therefore not reacting to gluten.

Your sister may well have celiac disease as well, and you wouldn't know unless you feed her gluten. And even if she reacts, it might take years for her villi to be destroyed to the point of getting a positive test result.

If you give her gluten and she has a reaction to it, you would know that she can't tolerate gluten, and that you shouldn't feed it to her.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------