Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hopefulmama

What Tests Should I Ask For?

We suspect Celiac with our Dd. I removed gluten from her diet before I know I shouldn't because of testing. She improved so much, so that was my answer. I am still curious to know what a genetic test would reveal. She's been gluten free since Feb. and doesn't have a ped. appt. until September. What test should I ask for that she doesn't need to be glutened for? Will it be accurate if she's gluten-free? I would assume it would be. I heard something about a cheek swab? Please excuse my ignorance, I am trying to become more informed-swimming through all of the info. here and elsewhere. Thank you for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We suspect Celiac with our Dd. I removed gluten from her diet before I know I shouldn't because of testing. She improved so much, so that was my answer. I am still curious to know what a genetic test would reveal. She's been gluten free since Feb. and doesn't have a ped. appt. until September. What test should I ask for that she doesn't need to be glutened for? Will it be accurate if she's gluten-free? I would assume it would be. I heard something about a cheek swab? Please excuse my ignorance, I am trying to become more informed-swimming through all of the info. here and elsewhere. Thank you for any help.

Hi there!

Try Enterolab! www.enterolab.com

They do the gluten sensitivity and gene testing through stools and cheek swabs. I just ordered yesterday! *Note that they test for gluten sensitivity, NOT Celiac! They can't diagnose if you have Celiac's, just if you have a sensitivity. But what's the difference - the treatment is the same anyway.

The best part is - you don't have to be eating gluten to take them! Lots of people here have used this lab, and some come out positive and some negative, so no reason to be sceptical. In the end, if her life has dramatically improved on the diet then that is answer enough. Some people never get a diagnosis but feel much butter on the diet.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008

9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"

Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301

Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history

National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer