Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ginnym

Blood Test Results

I've been told my tests for coeliac are negative even though a gluten free diet has totally eradicated my symptoms. To be honest, that's enough for me and I'll carry on with the diet but I'm still curious about the tests. When I had the blood taken, I'd eated almost nothing for 3 weeks which may have affected the results. This is what they say:

Endomysial IgA - negative

IgA 1.51 (NR 0.64-2.97)

IgG 10.80 (NR 5.80-15.40)

IgM 1.80 (NR 0.71-2.30)

Anti IgA transglutaminase - negative <10 U/ml

I seem to be right in the middle of most of the normal ranges which seems to confirm the doc's view that I'm negative for coeliac. Can anyone tell me if those are all the tests I should have had done or are there any others (I'm UK based)?

Thanks

Ginny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you started the diet prior to testing the results are not reliable.

Rachel

I hadn't started a gluten-free diet, I was just eating practically nothing because I was so unwell. The docs keep telling me there's no such thing as a false negative which I know isn't true, but I wasn't even sure if they'd done all the right tests anyway. My biopsy was inconclusive too so I guess I must be one of those with a non-coeliac gluten intolerance.

I guess I must be one of those with a non-coeliac gluten intolerance.

I used to believe there was a difference but now I think gluten intolerance is just early detection and a name for inconclusive tests that have proven to be unreliable. There are many instances of negative blood work but positive biopsies and vice versa with the biospsy or blood work becoming positive in a year or two. If you feel bad when you eat gluten then your body is reacting to it. Why is it that doctors want you to wait until your body has permanent damage to make a diagnosis. The key is prevention. I wish the medical community could wake up and think outside the box!

As far as testing goes, the endomysial antibody test is supposed to be the most "specific." That's the test the pediatric GI left out of my children's panel and now I'm not reassured by their results. Do you have celiac in your family?

I used to believe there was a difference but now I think gluten intolerance is just early detection and a name for inconclusive tests that have proven to be unreliable. There are many instances of negative blood work but positive biopsies and vice versa with the biospsy or blood work becoming positive in a year or two. If you feel bad when you eat gluten then your body is reacting to it. Why is it that doctors want you to wait until your body has permanent damage to make a diagnosis. The key is prevention. I wish the medical community could wake up and think outside the box!

As far as testing goes, the endomysial antibody test is supposed to be the most "specific." That's the test the pediatric GI left out of my children's panel and now I'm not reassured by their results. Do you have celiac in your family?

I don't know of anyone with a diagnosis of coeliac in the family but my late mother always had gastric "issues" and one of my nieces also has lots of problems. I know that gluten free works for me but one of the reasons for wanting a definite diagnosis is so that I can advise the rest of family about testing for coeliac. I know I can always do that anyway and my niece may well have a GP who will test if my brother asks but it would carry more weight if he could say with certainty that there was a family member with coeliac.

I know that gluten free works for me but one of the reasons for wanting a definite diagnosis is so that I can advise the rest of family about testing for coeliac.

I feel the same way. It just seems so important to me but everyone in my family, including my husband look at me with tried patience. In the beginning I said to myself that being on a gluten-free diet was a lifestyle choice for me and a diagnosis would not change anything. But, it DOES change whether or not anyone believes you or thinks you've just gone off your rocker. I can totally see your point.

Tip

Can anyone tell me if those are all the tests I should have had done or are there any others (I'm UK based)?

Ginny,

Reading through the post it seems your question did not get answered. The only thing I see missing is a Total IgA. This is also called a quantitative IgA. If you are IgA deficient then the other IgA dependent tests such as ttG and EMA would not be accurate.

Salomeh

Ginny,

Reading through the post it seems your question did not get answered. The only thing I see missing is a Total IgA. This is also called a quantitative IgA. If you are IgA deficient then the other IgA dependent tests such as ttG and EMA would not be accurate.

Salomeh

Thanks for your response Salomeh. I'll ask the docs about it next time I see them.