This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Long Did It Take?

Beth in NC

Beth in NC Contributor

I was a bit unusual in that BEFORE I was diagnosed, I didn't have "D" but "C" instead. Within three days of being gluten free, the chronic C was gone. After a week though, I figured out the lactose intolerance. Now, I have way more days with D than what I think ought to be "normal."

At my 4 week followup with my GI doc today, he was trying to steer me in the direction of that I wasn't WORSE, but that if I had D as a prediagnosis symptom, that only a few people get relief from the D in the first week or so, that many people take weeks/months for the D to go away.

I'm curious what your experiences were. If I keep waiting till the D improves before I add new foods back in, I'll never eat anything!

I did take a step tonight that I'm going to eat plain things that are not processed. If I need salad dressing, I'll make it myself. Sound like a good idea?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
I was a bit unusual in that BEFORE I was diagnosed, I didn't have "D" but "C" instead. Within three days of being gluten free, the chronic C was gone. After a week though, I figured out the lactose intolerance. Now, I have way more days with D than what I think ought to be "normal."

At my 4 week followup with my GI doc today, he was trying to steer me in the direction of that I wasn't WORSE, but that if I had D as a prediagnosis symptom, that only a few people get relief from the D in the first week or so, that many people take weeks/months for the D to go away.

I'm curious what your experiences were. If I keep waiting till the D improves before I add new foods back in, I'll never eat anything!

I did take a step tonight that I'm going to eat plain things that are not processed. If I need salad dressing, I'll make it myself. Sound like a good idea?

"C" and "D" are funny things. Typically, with the same diet prescription, some people experience one, some people experience the other, and some alternate. Also a funny thing is fiber, because it helps both. For "D," I would recommend bananas, applesauce, and plain rice. Something else that can only help is Pedialyte (please don't do gatorade!!). The name suggests it is for children, but it cures hangovers and helps "D" for adults, too.

Worrisome signs to me would be if your "D" is a white or light tan color or if it changes color. This usually means your intestines are not absorbing what they should be. Other than that, give yourself a couple of weeks to heal up. If you are still having "D" in two weeks, I highly suggest phoning your physician. Despite seeming like a minor problem, you can deplete the electrolytes in your body.

Beth in NC Contributor

I guess too, that there are varying levels of D. For me it isn't a gazillion trips to the potty, just one or two, but...ugh, I hate this topic....I seem to get rid of everything in one fell swoop, let's put it that way.

Rya Newbie
I guess too, that there are varying levels of D. For me it isn't a gazillion trips to the potty, just one or two, but...ugh, I hate this topic....I seem to get rid of everything in one fell swoop, let's put it that way.

I'm sorry to make you uncomfortable :( . If you feel like everything is OK it probably is. Try the foods I mentioned and see if they help. Also, if you feel like it might help, you can look into psyllium fiber or metamucil.

samcarter Contributor

That's how my D is. It usually strikes as soon as I wake up the morning after a glutening. Because you had so much C, your bowels are probably still normalizing.

Beth in NC Contributor
I'm sorry to make you uncomfortable :( . If you feel like everything is OK it probably is. Try the foods I mentioned and see if they help. Also, if you feel like it might help, you can look into psyllium fiber or metamucil.

Oh my! YOU didd make me feel uncomfortable!!! I'm sorry you got that impression! I just don't enjoy talking about poo on the internet to people I hardly know! LOL! No worries...It's just hard for me to be discreet on this topic and still get the necessary info across.

Archived