Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfmigraine

gluten-free Allergy Testing?

Hello. I am new to this community, and I registered in order to hopefully gain some assistance and maybe guidance from experienced people and/or medical professionals in the gluten-free community. My path to this website and the gluten-free community in general began with researching better ways to conquer severe migraines rather than the toxic medications (for onset and prevention) that have not worked for me. I had read in several areas about the connection between gluten and migraines, but I have just begun to learn about the elimination diet. Should I be going for gluten allergy testing before driving myself crazy with what so far seems to be a very difficult dieting endeavor? Is there an accepted type of gluten testing as it pertains to migraines? I do not have intestinal issues (except when I overdo it with the meds), so I don't have a reason to believe I have Celiac disease. I really could use some guidance. Thanks, community!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The first thing you want to do before you eliminate gluten is to get a celiac panel done by your doctor. There are up to 30% of us who will show up with a false negative so if the test is negative or positive a dietary trial may be in order. I am someone who has never had another migraine gluten free and others have also seen this effect. Do you have any other health issues at all, even if not tummy related? Arthritis, fibro, cfs, depression, anxiety are just of few of the other issues that can be seen that are gluten related.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)