Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roxie

Baking Question

I am getting ready to attempt to make my first gluten free pie crust, and also some gluten free cornbread. Is it ok to substitute different flours? For example, if the pie crust calls for rice flour, can I use coconut flour instead? Does it matter which kind of flour you use as long as it is gluten-free? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am getting ready to attempt to make my first gluten free pie crust, and also some gluten free cornbread. Is it ok to substitute different flours? For example, if the pie crust calls for rice flour, can I use coconut flour instead? Does it matter which kind of flour you use as long as it is gluten-free? Thanks!!

For the most part . . . yes. You can sub one gluten-free flour for another . . . And it's best to sub a starch for a starch. It's best to have a least a couple of flours/starches in a recipe . . . no one gluten-free flour replaces wheat flour adequately. Watch out for flour blends (like Pamela's baking mix - which I love by the way) that have something like Almond Meal - it's a great substitute, but you may need to cut back on the butter/oil in the recipe.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

I can't remember all the details on the coconut flour but don't sub it straight across for any flour. I think its only up to 20% or say 1/4 cup per 1 cup of flour. I only use about 1 or 2 T in any recipe. Coconut flour recipes need tons of eggs too. I can tell the difference just using 1 T, it makes the dough sticky. You will have trouble with the pie crust. Someone else can chime in about it better than me.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

mmm coconut flour B) LOL

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)