This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dishes And Silverware

nw0528

nw0528 Apprentice

I'm new here and had not realized people actually replace kitchen items when diagnosed with celiac disease. I understand about Teflon pans. I'm wondering if dishes and silverware are believed to be safe from cross contamination if they are put in the dishwaher. People talked about not using the same toaster, colander, pots and pans...but what about for things you put in your dishwasher?

Thanks!

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome aboard.

We are now completely gluten-free, but for many years we had a mixed kitchen. We put everything into the dishwasher, and treated it as safe when it came out.

Things to be concerned about are those that are porous or scratched. Wooden spoons are the biggest item, but scratched non-stick pans and scratched plastic utensils or dishes are also a concern. The screen on a metal colander is problematic. You can not possibly clean all of the crumbs out of a toaster--get a new one.

cattriona Newbie

do you have a severe reaction to gluten? the toaster is probably a good idea, but if you don't have a sever allergy, as long as everything is washed properly, then it should be ok. never been a problem for myself or any of the other celiac sufferers i know

YoloGx Rookie

Am wondering if an old aluminum pressure cooker should be replaced. I used it as a regular pot to cook soup in and wonder if it "extended" my congestion so to speak. I have rarely used it otherwise. Am considering throwing it out.

Bea

wschmucks Contributor

All of my dishes, cookware etc is all seperate from my gluten eating roomate. We dont have a dish washer, so i just dont feel like its a good idea (we even use seperate sponges). I knew that if i didnt do that, every time i would get sick I would wonder if it was from the dishes. I just bought myself three dishes, bowls, sets of silver ware, and it was that big of a deal.

Thing you really NEED to replace are those listed above, toaster, wooden spoons (just switch to metal), any teflon surface (i just switched to aluminum pots/ pans), wooden cuting boards, and do a VERY thorough cleaning of the shelves and fridge. I would recommend keeping your food on one side of the kitchen and making it a habit it put down your gluten-free cutting board when you place any of your food on the counter. Even if you arent sensetive, if you have Celiac the external results are not the same as the internal-- meaning it might not be making you feel sick, but its still attacking your intestines.

Bea-- I have an aluminum pressure cooker too-- I think we should be ok with aluminum as long as there is no teflon. I havent used mine yet, but my impression was as long as it is a pure metal surface we should be good to go.

YoloGx Rookie
All of my dishes, cookware etc is all seperate from my gluten eating roomate. We dont have a dish washer, so i just dont feel like its a good idea (we even use seperate sponges). I knew that if i didnt do that, every time i would get sick I would wonder if it was from the dishes. I just bought myself three dishes, bowls, sets of silver ware, and it was that big of a deal.

Thing you really NEED to replace are those listed above, toaster, wooden spoons (just switch to metal), any teflon surface (i just switched to aluminum pots/ pans), wooden cuting boards, and do a VERY thorough cleaning of the shelves and fridge. I would recommend keeping your food on one side of the kitchen and making it a habit it put down your gluten-free cutting board when you place any of your food on the counter. Even if you arent sensetive, if you have Celiac the external results are not the same as the internal-- meaning it might not be making you feel sick, but its still attacking your intestines.

Bea-- I have an aluminum pressure cooker too-- I think we should be ok with aluminum as long as there is no teflon. I havent used mine yet, but my impression was as long as it is a pure metal surface we should be good to go.

I hope it is OK to use the old pressure cooker as a pot. I am thinking of waiting to use it for a while however. Its old, and may have been bought used, so who knows what it was used for, though I haven't cooked glutenous items for many years. I have had this nasal congestion/throat irritation for over 2 1/2 weeks and just want to lose it. Am way better but still it drags on. So I thought, maybe its the old aluminum pot? I used it for chicken soup. I do have a stainless steel pot I trust more...

Bea

Archived