Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wildones

Short Bowel Syndrome

I have 7-1/2 yr old triplets, two of whom have either confirmed or suspected celiac disease. One of the boys also has short bowel syndrome-he had 70%+ of his small intestines removed, his ileocecal valve removed and part of his colon removed. He already has extremely challenging nutrition needs w/ short gut. Adding a gluten free diet to the challenges he faces is REALLY overwhelming to me right now. He has been gluten free for @ 7 months and has improved greatly as far as pain/nausea/constipation goes. Celiac patients can be CONSTIPATED and not just have diarrhea. I think in a strange way the celiac (constipation) helped his short bowel symptoms.

Does anyone else have a child with other signifigant nutrition challenges besides celiac ?

I posted 2 similar posts because I didn't see where the first one showed up :huh: I realized that I had posted once it had been 7 months, and the next time 9 months of being gluten free for my son. Both my sons are now gluten free, one for 2 months longer.

I am easily confused sometimes, due to severe sleep deprivation for over 7 yrs :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I have not been to Mayo or the University of Chicago, but I am older and have two other autoimmune disorders in addition to celiac disease.  I have found that gluten exposures trigger not only my celiac disease, but ramps  up my other autoimmune (...
    Does anyone have experience with Dapsone for DH improvement?
    So sorry to hear of your challenges. Have you considered SIBO?  What you describe, particularly the long flares, seems like your GI microbiome is off. This causes malabsorption and many other issues due to deficiencies. Have you considered ...