This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Cant I Stop Gaining Weight?! :-(

wilem008

wilem008 Contributor

I have put on so much weight recently - every week I can feel myself getting bigger. I am now up to 75kg. I know that's not over weight or anything (as I am also 180cm tall) but its the biggest ive ever been - ive always been about 67kg!

Anyway, im not sure why this is happening. Before I went gluten free I was really sick and lost quite a bit of weight.

Im wondering if that might have been because my body wasnt able to absord the nutrients it needed....

Could it be possible that now (because I have been gluten free for over a year) my body has healed and is able to absord all it needs (and more)? Could that explain the weight gain?

Im also exploring possibilites of a thyroid problem (which I have had in the past). Im going to get my thyriod tested again, perhaps its under-active.

Anyway...has anyone else found that they've gained weight after going gluten free?

Its so frustrating as I eat a healthy diet, I try to exersice as much as I can, I dont eat fast food, I dont smoke and I dont binge drink on alcohol! If I have such a heathly diet - why do I have to be the one who cant stop gaining weight?

I want to get this under control before its out of control!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Since you've been on the gluten-free diet for a year I don't think that's the answer. Definitely get your thyroid checked! It's also possible to gain weight if you're not eating enough (because your body thinks you're starving)... but it sounds like you have a healthy attitude about food.

Do you have any of the other common signs of hypothyroidism?

Fatigue

Dry skin

Constipation

Depression

Hair loss

Decreased libido

Heavy, irregular periods

Feeling cold all the time

wilem008 Contributor
Do you have any of the other common signs of hypothyroidism?

Fatigue

Dry skin

Constipation

Depression

Hair loss

Decreased libido

Heavy, irregular periods

Feeling cold all the time

I get all those symptoms - perhaps not all at once but I do suffer from them expecially the dry skin, fatigue, constipation, depression, decreased libido and feeling cold all the time. I am always the coldest person in the room!!

The only one of those I dont get is the irregular periods as I am on the pill and its controlled. Other symptoms I get though include: Nausea, stomach cramps, Sweet cravings, puffy eyes, sensation of a lump in my throat, headaches and joint pain...especailly in my elbows and writs.

Anyway, I think yes - I need to get my thyroid tested again. I hate this so much, I really need to work out whats going on - besides my food allergies!

Thanks for your help! xx

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Yeah... the lump in the throat <_< That really used to bug me when I was reading bedtime stories to my kids. It's a lot better now that I've been on thyroid hormones for ten months. I also used to get a lot of pain in my joints while I was sleeping... shoulders, hips... grrr... The tricky thing (if you have an autoimmune thyroid disorder) is that your levels can keep changing as you get older, your thyroid burns itself out, you go through changes like pregnancy or menopause, etc...

Good luck!

wilem008 Contributor
Yeah... the lump in the throat <_< That really used to bug me when I was reading bedtime stories to my kids. It's a lot better now that I've been on thyroid hormones for ten months.

Its really nice to talk to someone who understands whole 'lump in the throat' thing. Its really hard to discribe but iften feels like someone or something is putting pressure on the front of my throat, just below my voice box. Its wierd and relly uncomfortable. It hasnt been as bad the last few days, its one of my symptoms that comes and goes.

I have been diagnosed with both before - Hypo and hyper thyroid. Last time I was tested though, they said it was normal. If I get tested again and its abnormal I will talk to the doctor and consider hormone treatment.

Thanks for you help!

x

Archived