ohsotired

Substitution Help?

Rate this topic

I have a recipe for a gluten-free flat bread that calls for 2 tbsp of fine cornmeal........which I do not have.

I *do* have polenta, but it's the pre-cooked kind, and corn starch. Would either one of these work?

Is there something else that might work better? I have a bunch of different flours/starches, but just not sure what might work best.

Thoughts?

Here is a quote from Carol Fenster's book, Gluten-Free Quick and Easy:

"Corn lends a distinct yet mild, nutty flavor to baked goods. If you can't find corn flour, grind cornmeal in your coffee grinder to the consistency of flour. Don't confuse corn flour with cornstarch....

Corn flour is not the same thing as cornstarch."

Thoughts:

What about trying a ground up nut? Shouldn't go wrong with only 2 tablespoons.

You can compare your recipe with this one for wraps too see what they used:

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/200...-wraps-you.html

or google gluten-free flatbread recipes to see what flours are used. Hope this helps, maybe someone else can input better ;)

Thanks purple!

I'm glad I didn't try the corn starch then! ;)

I went ahead and made them using polenta that I obliterated with my food processor. Interesting texture, that.

The flatbread turned out decent, as long as it was consumed while still warm. (With hummus - YUM!) I let one cool off and then reheated it, and it was less than impressive. Also pretty crumbly, so not ideal for any kind of a wrap - I tried to fold/roll one and it broke into several pieces.

I googled gluten free flatbread for quite some time before settling on the recipe I did. I used to make home made flour tortillas, and this recipe was very similar to those.

I have a few more recipes I want to try though. So thanks for posting that link! I might just add that one to my "Try It" list. :)

I might just try these again after picking up some corn meal.

Thanks purple!

I'm glad I didn't try the corn starch then! ;)

I went ahead and made them using polenta that I obliterated with my food processor. Interesting texture, that.

The flatbread turned out decent, as long as it was consumed while still warm. (With hummus - YUM!) I let one cool off and then reheated it, and it was less than impressive. Also pretty crumbly, so not ideal for any kind of a wrap - I tried to fold/roll one and it broke into several pieces.

I googled gluten free flatbread for quite some time before settling on the recipe I did. I used to make home made flour tortillas, and this recipe was very similar to those.

I have a few more recipes I want to try though. So thanks for posting that link! I might just add that one to my "Try It" list. :)

I might just try these again after picking up some corn meal.

The link recipe makes 2. They were so good I had to quad the recipe. Never crumbled nor fell apart. I put them on the back of cake pans...easier to spread out individually :rolleyes: I was surprised on how well they turned out, my dd loved them!