Baseballmom

Need Help Evaluating Test Results!

Rate this topic

Trying to help my Dad - He's had bouts of explosive diahrrea. His test results follow:

Endomysial AB Screen (IGA) Negative

Gliadin Antibody IGA 18 (Positive is >17)

Gliadin Antibody IGG 19 (Positive is >17)

One GI doctor said he doesn't have celiac because the Gliadin Antibody tests are an outdated test method and show too many false positives. He said the Endomysial screen is more accurate. He said the TGa (transglutinamaze?) screen is the newest and most accurate, but it wasn't in the panel. It doesn't make sense! Can anyone recommend further testing?

I would advise he get the Ttg and also a total IGA to make sure he isn't IGA deficent as that would throw off the tests.

If he is going to have an endoscopic exam looking for celiac he needs to keep eating gluten.

However he does have postive test results and after all his testing is done he should give the diet a good strict try. With up to 30% of us showing false negatives on testing sometimes the body gives us the answer that tests can not.

Thanks so much for replying so quickly!

My Dad is eating gluten. I am wondering what IGA deficient means and whether the doctor was right when he implied that the Endomysial test overrules the Gliadin tests. I did make an appointment for next week but I want to be informed about what to request, before the appointment. My Dad already has been to 3 different GI doctors who said variously, "it's old age", "his sphincter is not tight" and "he's constipated, he needs more fiber." Dad is 89 and I'd rather not have him do the endoscopy unless the blood tests support it.

Thank you!!

Trying to help my Dad - He's had bouts of explosive diahrrea. His test results follow:

Endomysial AB Screen (IGA) Negative

Gliadin Antibody IGA 18 (Positive is >17)

Gliadin Antibody IGG 19 (Positive is >17)

One GI doctor said he doesn't have celiac because the Gliadin Antibody tests are an outdated test method and show too many false positives. He said the Endomysial screen is more accurate. He said the TGa (transglutinamaze?) screen is the newest and most accurate, but it wasn't in the panel. It doesn't make sense! Can anyone recommend further testing?