Raynee

Are All Celiacs Anemic?

Rate this topic

I was just wondering as I had blood work done which were WNL. I am still waiting for the celiac sprue panel which my doctor told me was very reliable but I keep hearing different here. To be honest I wasn't too impressed with him. He also stated he has only seen two patients in 20 years with Celiac. He is a gastroenterologist and I am wondering how many of his patients do have it and are sufffering because he doesn't test for it.

I wasn't anemic, so no, not everyone is. If you don't like your doctor, shop around! People say that calling it "celiac sprue" means he's hopelessly out of date, and in some cases I think it does. My doctor calls it that, too, though, and he's been great about helping me with this. He's learning too, and willing to do what it takes to help me heal. So, you know. Some doctors step up and others don't.

I happened to be VERY anemic - but my sister, who also has celiac, was never anemic. So really, it varies.

I would agree with the above poster - go to a different doctor. My Gastro was the worst, he never believed I had celiac (even though my sister was already diagnosed AND I had a positive blood test) so I basically just told him to do the endo, he did, and then I never saw him again.

But I was lucky - I was diagnosed very easily because I had probably had Celiac for about 9 years before I realized what was wrong, so my insides were pretty torn up.

Good luck!