This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Multiple Food Allergies

bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in August 2003 by blood test. At that time, I also reacted to 22 foods on the skin scratch tests. My reaction to the gluten-free diet was amazing - nearly everything medical problem I had cleared up. Then I started reacting to lots of things and developed stomach problems again (off and on). The PALEO diet was the only one that seemed to calm down my body. I have gone off and on this diet for the past year. IN Dec 2004, I was diagnosed with parasites and my stomach finally calmed down after taking the mebendazole. At that time, I also had a biopsy and it was perfectly fine (no sign of damage). Then a few weeks later, symptoms re-appeared with a vengeance. I saw my Celiac doctor again (one of the best ones) and he recommended more comprehensive food allergy testing and a gluten challenge. I just got the results of the food allergy tests and I am overwhelmed. I have strong allergies to EGG WHITE and BLACK PEPPER. I eat over a dozen egg whites per week (sometimes 2 dozen) and I eat pepper on everything. I also reacted to 40 other foods at a much more slight level. The biggest question I have is why I am reacting to foods I am eating on such a regular basis? This seems common of 'leaky gut' syndrome, from what I have read. I have been eating wheat again - little by little - but my first reaction was that I passed out from eating 2 pieces of pizza. Then I waited 2 more weeks and I have been consuming small amounts of wheat. I haven't reacted to any of the things in the past few days. I am shocked, stunned and not sure what to do with the test results. I kind of knew I might be allergic to egg, since I have had allergic reactions to vaccinations for the past 10 years or so. What do I do with all of this information? Should I really avoid the foods that were minor allergens? I don't know that I completely trust these RAST tests, but I know there's nothing better out there.

Sorry to vent...it's just so frustrating to keep dealing with allergy on top of allergy on top of allergy.

Kathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Kathleen,

What did the doctor tell you about avoiding the foods you tested mildly allergic to? I think I would probably try to cut out the eggs and pepper, but I think it is common to not necessarily totally cut out the other allergens, but to rotate them, so you are not eating them too often.

I've been wondering how you have been doing since you said the pizza made you pass out. E-mail me so we can talk more!

God bless,

Mariann

Carriefaith Enthusiast

A lot of people with celiac disease have more than one problem. I react severely to gluten and lactose, and I just noticed lately that I am reacting to refined sugar.

I've also had those skin prick allergy tests and I think I tested postive to about 70% of the stuff they tested. Apparenty I'm allergic to every type of pollen they tested :o The skin prick test showed a postive reaction to wheat and yeast. I avoid wheat like crazy since I am celiac, however, I do eat things with yeast. I find that I don't really react to yeast.

My advice would be to stay gluten free since gluten actually causes physical damage and to try and avoid foods that seem to cause problems.

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies. I am going to try avoiding the eggs and black pepper (though they are basically in EVERYTHING, aren't they?). I am back on wheat and will have another biopsy soon. Since I have been on wheat, I have had 2 infections. In fact, just came home from the walk-in clinic for an extremely sore throat. My immune system is not doing well...

I am planning to call my nutritionist and start a rotation diet. I have a great "allergy" cookbook with sample plans, but since my allergist wants me to avoid ALL (50+) of the foods I reacted to, I have to be really careful creating my plan. I will start to add the foods back in - one by one - after everything has settled down.

Thanks for your advice!

kathleen

Guest ajlauer

When we found out about my daughter's food allergies, we kept saying "what CAN we feed her???" When we got the answer to that question, life became easier - meat, fruit, and veggies. Can you eat those things?? The first 5 days of her food challenge, she pretty much just ate fruit salad! I bought her some special (and expensive) cookies from www.glutenfreeforme.com so she could at least have 1 of her favorite "food groups".

Is your doctor saying you need to avoid those 50+ foods forever? Or just during a food challenge? Those tests surely aren't accurate enough to avoid it forever!

HI,

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion is a good one. I will go through my allergy-free cookbook (which has a great rotation diet) and highlight what I CAN eat and then go from there. I just emailed my nutritionist for help. HOpefully, she can give me an appt soon.

My allergist said I need to avoid all 50+ foods right now, but I will re-introduce them one at a time after everything calms down. I am in the midst of a gluten-challenge right now, so I am not sure this is a good time to deal with the other allergies. None of them are life-threatening, but it certainly is a quality of life issue. I am living off allergy pills right now as it is.

Thanks!

Kathleen

gluten-intolerant, allergic to 50+ foods, most medicines, latex

peripheral neuropathy, several other medical disorders loosely related to gluten intolerance

Archived