This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gosh, I Miss My Soy-milk!

Dejaunee

Dejaunee Newbie

Scott, about two plus years back I spoke with you by phone.

I tested positive for celiac disease back in 97. I was hit with it in 94. But you know well how, back then, diagnosis of the disease was rare. In my case it came only after much research and effort on my part and then only after requesting I be tested for it. Given my symptoms were in line with celiac disease.

Reason for this correspondence is: for the past several years I have been able to enjoy but one of the many Soy milks on the market.

Given that the protein is the offending culprit often in celiac disease patients, somehow this one brand had it just right. And as I said, for years I relished the drink and the nutritive value in it.

Ruefully, last year they decided to add organic cane sugar to it. Dang! For me, sugar is out. The enzymes needed to digest it lost from the damage done to the villi before proper diagnosis of celiac disease and the implementing of the subsequent "offender-free" diet.

As I am sure you know, in sever cases eliminating only gluten is not enough. Lactose, sucrose, fructose, etc., all can be problematic to the Celiac patient.

Though I know my case is a sever one, I know I am not alone there. Hence my contacting you today.

I believe there must be others out there who also were limited to this one agreeable product that is now being made with sugar, and as such, no longer agreeable.

I have contacted the company and pressed the need that they return the original recipe for folks with sever celiac, not able to have sugars or concentrated forms of the soy or rice protein.

Seems if they received sufficient calls they would perhaps be inclined to provide this formerly cherished, not to mention nutritious, beverage for those of us with sever Celiac.

The product info is: WESTSOY PLUS; SOYMILK-vanilla or regular

made by: HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP, INC. #1-800-SOY-MILK

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Debi M. Brand

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Silk makes an unsweetened soy milk that is gluten free.

Lily Rookie

Eden Foods makes a Rice/Soy blend that is free of sugar. Soy dream agrees with me, but so far those are the only 2.

Lily

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Chelsi
    Newest Member
    Chelsi
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      I agree, and hopefully your doctor will contact you soon about the next step, which will likely be an endoscopy to confirm your diagnosis. Do you have celiac disease symptoms? 
    • Kirbyqueen
      Still dealing with this rash on my legs. I've eliminated ringworm (through use of topical ointments). And I also know it's not shingles, as I've never had chickenpox before and I'm still fairly young. Through a lot of online research, I'm leaning more towards dermatitis herpetiformis, eczema, or psoriasis. I've actually got a doctor's appointment in May (finally got some insurance) and I'm going to bring it up then. I'm feeling really hopeful and excited to maybe be getting some relief soon.   Big thanks to everyone for the suggestions and positive thoughts!
    • trents
      You have three celiac disease specific antibody tests that are positive: Endomysial  Antibody IGA (aka, EMA), tTG-IGA, and tTG_IGG. Furthermore, your Immunoglobulin A at 55 is low, meaning you are IGA deficient. This one is not an antibody test for celaic disease per se but a measure of "total IGA" levels and if low (yours is low) it can suppress the individual antibody scores and even cause false negatives. So, yes, it definitely looks like you have celiac disease.   Do not yet begin a gluten free diet as your physician may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining for confirmation of the antibody testing. This may help:   
    • Bayb
      Hi, I received my labs via email yesterday and have not heard back from my doctor yet. Can anyone tell me if these results indicate I have Celiac?      Endomysial Antibody IgAPositive  Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA6  H0-3 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 3 - Weak Positive 4 - 10 - Positive >10 - Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten-sensitive enteropathy. FImmunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum55  L87-352 (mg/dL) Ft-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG183  H0-5 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 5 - Weak Positive 6 - 9 - Positive >9
    • Aussienae
      Mine is definitely triggered by inflammation and stress! I do also have arthritis in my spine, but the pain is more in my pelvic area. Im sure i have other food intolerances or other autoimmune isues but the more I focus on it and see doctor after doctor, it just gets worse.  Best thing is get of Gluten! (I also avoid lactose). Try to limit stress and anything that causes inflammation in your body.