Kenpo89

Weight Gain And Celiac

Rate this topic

I have heard alot about people have moderate to sever weight loss before they were diagnosed with Celiac and all the documentation I have been researching has noted that weight loss is a symptom but I have never heard of weight gain. I never had any problem with weight loss, I had the opposite, I could NOT lose weight. And after I was diagnosed and have been following a gluten free diet for over 3 years i am still struggling to lose weight.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiance with this?

I have heard alot about people have moderate to sever weight loss before they were diagnosed with Celiac and all the documentation I have been researching has noted that weight loss is a symptom but I have never heard of weight gain. I never had any problem with weight loss, I had the opposite, I could NOT lose weight. And after I was diagnosed and have been following a gluten free diet for over 3 years i am still struggling to lose weight.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiance with this?

Hi Ken,

You're definitely not alone....many of us are in the same situation! :)

Feel free to look at my profile and visit the website (blog) link there; as you'll see, I know where you're coming from!

Actually, recent research has revealed that nearly half of all celiacs are overweight at diagnosis. Here is a link to a 2006 medical journal article on this very topic:

http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/joann...ght_celiacs.pdf

Also, there is a current thread on this forum (under Gluten Free Diet & Weight Issues) which discusses obesity and celiac disease:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=59617

As you probably know, this is a great place to come and discuss these issues. Board members are very supportive, and recognize that celiac disease wears many guises and that everyone has their own unique experiences and perspectives.

Best of luck to you!

JoAnn