tripletrouble

Should I Get All The Testing Done?

Rate this topic

I've been reading up on gluten sensitivity for the last few weeks and in my gut (no pun intended) I know I have this. I have fatigue, joint pain, brain fog, itchy rashes, hair thinning, etc... that has all gotten exponentially worse over the past 6 months or so. BTW, I'm almost 37.

My question is this...

since we don't have the greatest insurance I'm expecting that all the testing could be expensive for us, do you think it is absolutely necessary for me to go a doctor (GI?) for the full battery of tests (many of which are inconclusive from what I've read) if after I get myself on a Gluten-free diet, it seems to be the answer for me?

Is there any real benefit of having a doctor make an"official" diagnosis?

Thanks for any advice/opinions you have!! :D

I've been reading up on gluten sensitivity for the last few weeks and in my gut (no pun intended) I know I have this. I have fatigue, joint pain, brain fog, itchy rashes, hair thinning, etc... that has all gotten exponentially worse over the past 6 months or so. BTW, I'm almost 37.

My question is this...

since we don't have the greatest insurance I'm expecting that all the testing could be expensive for us, do you think it is absolutely necessary for me to go a doctor (GI?) for the full battery of tests (many of which are inconclusive from what I've read) if after I get myself on a Gluten-free diet, it seems to be the answer for me?

Is there any real benefit of having a doctor make an"official" diagnosis?

Thanks for any advice/opinions you have!! :D

I didn't, but it's easier for a "me" than for an "us." The diet can be a little tricky, and it gets more complicated in a household where one person is gluten-free and others aren't. Also if you have kids, there's a significant chance that they have it, too, so in that case it would be best to be tested and have them tested as well.

Simplest is to go on the gluten-free diet and see if it works for you. If so, then you can decide if you want to go back on gluten to be tested.

Another good move, insurance willing, is to see an allergist to be tested. A lot of celiacs develop an array of allergies; it would be good just to find out what they are in one go rather than do a series of elimination diets to find out. If I had money or insurance, an allergist would be tops on my agenda.

No doubt if you've been reading this board you already know the drill, but here goes anyway: throw out your toaster, replace all plastic utensils and containers and any scratched pots and pans and give everything else a thorough cleaning. Or if you're maintaining a split household, get a dedicated set of pots, pans, utensils, butter, peanut butter, lunch meat, cheese, etc., and keep them separate.

Welcome to the board, and good luck!