dream77

Question About Food Labels

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am slowly becoming adept to reading food labels.

I am aware that "Natural flavor" may/may not contain gluten.

Now the question is the label generally also has a section called

"CONTAINS"

What is the purpose of this section ?

I read things like

"CONTAINS:MILK" on an icecream contained along wih the other section of "INGREDIENTS"

Does this mean the "CONTAINS" section is for listing allergeic stuff ?

If it does not list gluten can I assume it does not ?

The "Contains:" portion of the label is an allergen disclosure.

It is optional, because the US labeling law (FALCPA) requires that the eight major allergens be clearly disclosed either in the main ingredient list, or in a separate "contains" list. You still have to read the ingredients list if there is no "contains" list.

And even then, only wheat is required to be disclosed by FALCPA. Rye, barley and oats can still be present without being named.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

Thank you so much..

I will print it and keep it handy when I go grocery shopping:

I guess store brands are a NO NO..

though they contain a "CONTAINS" section which may not have glutne contains stuff in them I can't be sure if the "modified food starch" in the ingredients may contain wheat. Oh JOY!! more money for me :-]

Thank you so much..

I will print it and keep it handy when I go grocery shopping:

I guess store brands are a NO NO..

though they contain a "CONTAINS" section which may not have glutne contains stuff in them I can't be sure if the "modified food starch" in the ingredients may contain wheat. Oh JOY!! more money for me :-]

Plenty of store brand stuff is just fine. Fortunately, not everything has modified food starch! Canned beans and tomatoes are a staple in my kitchen, and there are very few (but there are so, so ALWAYS READ THE LABELS) that have any gluten containing ingredients.

Thanks Tarnalberry,

Yes I will not disreagard ALL store brands..

Actually just y'day I bought HEB soure cream.. I never imagine sour cream could have gluten but after I made a YUMMY artichoke dip I saw it had modified food starch and in the "CONTAINS" section had only "MILK"

so I was really upset since I couldn't eat the dip.

quite often, modified food starch does *NOT* contain gluten. I've only ever seen in made from wheat, corn, or tapioca, and with the labeling laws, wheat would have to be listed. Does that mean to just assume that something is safe? I probably wouldn't, but that's what phones are for. ;)