This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colorectal Cancer

Carri Ninja

Carri Ninja Rookie

I have seen a few other posts about this, but none that were real recent. Hoping someone has some advice or something.

I am 29 - a bit young to have cancer I know.

My Celiac was just diagnosed last Nov. It had caused a series of problems from heart arrhythmia to my organs just shutting down. I have had the symptoms and digestive problems my whole life. IE: hiatal hernia at 15. The dr's have given me a ton of tests and a few different diagnoses, but My friends mom was the one who told me about celiac and essentially saved my life.

Now one of my tests has come back positive for colorectal cancer. I am waiting for my scope {apt is set - but the waiting sucks} I am also a bit nervous because I am allergic to caines so I cannot be numbed locally when they do this. I think they may have to sedate me completly.

Several people in my family have had this cancer, and some have died at a very young age because of digestive/cancer problems.

My mom's mom was 52 when she died - and had been resuscitated 8 different times in her life due to heart complications. My aunt was 38 when she had to have a pacemaker - think she has celiac as well but refuses to follow the diet. Mom brother and father all have Celiac. I know it is Genetic. The more I read the more I find where Celiac and Colon cancer seem to be related even though they are several feet of intestines apart and etc. Yet the Celiac reaction is felt thought the whole body so why not right.

Is there anyone else going through this also or has been through it?

I am ready to pull my hair out!! {well what isn't falling out already.}

The stress and constant illnesses are awful. My husband has been super supportive, but I wonder how much is enough for him. He is constantly telling me I need to eat because I am loosing to much weight.

I have a 7 year old and a wonderful husband who I love dearly and they keep me going. Yet it is just one thing after another and it really wears me out. I feel like just giving up.

IBS, IC, endometreosis, heart arrhythmia, mitral valve prolapse, lactose intolerant, and way to many other allergies to list

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am sorry you have had to go through so much. What was the test that came back positive? Was it the test for occult blood in the stool or was it an xray or CT? If it was the test for blood in the stool that can have many reasons for a positive result and not all are as dire as cancer. Whichever test it was it is good that they are checking things out. It sounds like you have been good at keeping an eye out for problems which is also a good thing as the sooner something is found the better the outcome is. Please keep us posted and try your best not to worry too much until the tests are complete. I don't know if you are aware of this but from what I have read for celiacs after 5 years on the diet our chances of developing an intestinal cancer go down to the same rate as for the rest of the population. We are here for you. Ask anything you need to and vent if you need to. I hope the testing goes well and the outcome is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
Carri Ninja Rookie

The test was positive for blood and then the Dr sent that to the lab to check for cancer cells and they found some. Well I had a scope done yesterday and guess what NO CANCER YAY!!!

The Dr still seems to be concerned about the bleeding though they really didn't see much wrong.

Hopefully my intestines are still just healing from the celiac - keeping fingers crossed on that one.

On top of that and the IBS and IC the dr's seem to think that's where my pain and bleeding are coming from. Still a bit scary thought because all of the cancer and genetic disease that runs in my family. Thank you for all of your concerns and letting me vent its helped a lot!!

Carri Ninja Rookie

Thank you for posting this really did put my mind at ease a bit. Especially the tip about going gluten free and after 5 yrs our chances of cancer go down. I hope everything is going well for you and your family as well!! :rolleyes:

I am sorry you have had to go through so much. What was the test that came back positive? Was it the test for occult blood in the stool or was it an xray or CT? If it was the test for blood in the stool that can have many reasons for a positive result and not all are as dire as cancer. Whichever test it was it is good that they are checking things out. It sounds like you have been good at keeping an eye out for problems which is also a good thing as the sooner something is found the better the outcome is. Please keep us posted and try your best not to worry too much until the tests are complete. I don't know if you are aware of this but from what I have read for celiacs after 5 years on the diet our chances of developing an intestinal cancer go down to the same rate as for the rest of the population. We are here for you. Ask anything you need to and vent if you need to. I hope the testing goes well and the outcome is a good one.
ravenwoodglass Mentor
The test was positive for blood and then the Dr sent that to the lab to check for cancer cells and they found some. Well I had a scope done yesterday and guess what NO CANCER YAY!!!

The Dr still seems to be concerned about the bleeding though they really didn't see much wrong.

Hopefully my intestines are still just healing from the celiac - keeping fingers crossed on that one.

On top of that and the IBS and IC the dr's seem to think that's where my pain and bleeding are coming from. Still a bit scary thought because all of the cancer and genetic disease that runs in my family. Thank you for all of your concerns and letting me vent its helped a lot!!

Thank goodness the scope results were good. I also get bleeding but only when I am glutened, thankfully, as that is scarey enough. Hopefully once you have healed a bit more the bleeding will be a thing of the past. Do make sure any meds they gave you for the IC, if any, are safe. I am also sure you will be proactive in getting your scopes done at the intervals the doctor reccommends. Mine is having me do them every 4 years but some wait longer as long as everything is okay. I hope you continue to improve and thanks for the update. Was kind of worried about you.

knowurgluten Rookie

I too have many problems:

ibs, liver enzymes elevated, skin cancer, can feel a strong beat on my chest from heart rate, especially after eating something salty, fibrocystic breast, anemia, fog brain, you name it.

Plus my mom and sister diagnosed with breast/ovarian ca.

Have you checked in to the budwig diet? Not only do we need to avoid gluten, but because we are more problems that can affect our immune system, it has been CRITICAL that I follow a diet lately that cancer patients are on.

There is a group on yahoo for the budwig diet.

She was a german doctor who cured 90% cancers and has been nominated for 7 nobel prize winners. Many people on the forum will tell you they feel like a new person after a few months of eating this way.

Carri Ninja Rookie

Thank you for your post!!

I am looking into this - it was a very interesting article - I had never heard of this before. I knew about the green tea and have been taking that off and on. {as much as my body will allow}

I try to solve things the best I can by using a natural approach, as I am allergic and intolerant of so many things.

I use GSE {grapefruit seed extract} to help boost my immune system as well. The GSE cures the UTI's that I get all to frequently. It also helps with my acne.

I had severe arrhythmia and strong heart beats before I went gluten free - it damaged my mitral valve causing a prolapse. I was on steroids for it for almost 4 years. Because of it I have to be on antibiotics for all kinds of things like dental work. The GSE helps me not have to take nearly as many antibiotics. { like once a month vs 3 times a year :D }

Some of my health problems are finally starting to get better, but some are not. There were things that I thought would go away and haven't. I have been gluten free minus accidental contamination of course, since Nov. of last year. I hope with time things will change even more.

I always knew something wasn't right, and always thought when I finally got it figured out it would be the miracle "cure" and I would be perfectly healthy. I have come to the conclusion that was a childish wish and I will never be perfectly healthy, as the celiac was left untreated for way to long.

So THANK you for your time. I am always willing to give things a whirl to see if it will help.

You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers.

This board has helped me so so much!!

I too have many problems:

ibs, liver enzymes elevated, skin cancer, can feel a strong beat on my chest from heart rate, especially after eating something salty, fibrocystic breast, anemia, fog brain, you name it.

Plus my mom and sister diagnosed with breast/ovarian ca.

Have you checked in to the budwig diet? Not only do we need to avoid gluten, but because we are more problems that can affect our immune system, it has been CRITICAL that I follow a diet lately that cancer patients are on.

There is a group on yahoo for the budwig diet.

She was a german doctor who cured 90% cancers and has been nominated for 7 nobel prize winners. Many people on the forum will tell you they feel like a new person after a few months of eating this way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knowurgluten Rookie
Thank you for your post!!

I am looking into this - it was a very interesting article - I had never heard of this before. I knew about the green tea and have been taking that off and on. {as much as my body will allow}

I try to solve things the best I can by using a natural approach, as I am allergic and intolerant of so many things.

I use GSE {grapefruit seed extract} to help boost my immune system as well. The GSE cures the UTI's that I get all to frequently. It also helps with my acne.

I had severe arrhythmia and strong heart beats before I went gluten free - it damaged my mitral valve causing a prolapse. I was on steroids for it for almost 4 years. Because of it I have to be on antibiotics for all kinds of things like dental work. The GSE helps me not have to take nearly as many antibiotics. { like once a month vs 3 times a year :D }

Some of my health problems are finally starting to get better, but some are not. There were things that I thought would go away and haven't. I have been gluten free minus accidental contamination of course, since Nov. of last year. I hope with time things will change even more.

Wow, what kind of GSE do you take. I could stand to keep some around:)

I always knew something wasn't right, and always thought when I finally got it figured out it would be the miracle "cure" and I would be perfectly healthy. I have come to the conclusion that was a childish wish and I will never be perfectly healthy, as the celiac was left untreated for way to long.

So THANK you for your time. I am always willing to give things a whirl to see if it will help.

You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers.

This board has helped me so so much!!

Carri Ninja Rookie

I use Nutribiotic brand Grapefruit Seed Extract {not grape seed} because it is "safe and all natural".

The pills are what I take for like uti's, and when I feel like I am getting an infection from my heart going bonkers lol

I also have it in liquid form. If you don't want to purchase both - because it can be quite pricey depending on the size- I would suggest the pills first just because it is cheaper. It is like 8$ here at the heath food store for a bottle of 50. Which taken twice a week is quite cheap, and Cheaper then what I was spending on antibiotics.

Anyways I use the liquid as a topical for the most part - although it can be added to your drink. It has a bit of a bitter taste, but works just like the pills. The liquid I use ans an acne cure. I get some bad ones when I have a reaction and the GSE clears them by the next day where usually I have them 2-3 weeks - even with prescription acne meds ;)

It is 20$ for a 4 oz bottle, but is super concentrated. One drop in my palm and mixed with water {as much as my hand can hold.} I then wash my face nightly with it. If i get a blemish I use it full strength - which is not recommended for first time uses - it can burn you seriously.

Anyways Good luck and I hope you get as much good out of it as I have. I think it is wonderful - AND ALL NATURAL which is even better!

Archived