mk121

Help! What Do You Think...celiac Vs. Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Here are my symptoms...fatigue, low blood pressure, bloating, constipation, low energy, depression. anemia, floating stools, itchy rash around hairline, cystic acne, occasional tingling in fingers on one hand, palpitations, hoarseness.

My health hx includes Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, melanoma, blood work shows decreased vitamin b12, vitamin D. Hexa scan shows osteopenia right hip. I'm 43.

12/2007- both stool test and ALLCAT positive for gliadin antibodies. Went gluten free.

2/2008- blood test for Celiac negative (was gluten free at the time of blood draw, dr. said I was not gluten free long enough to affect the results. I had been gluten free for 2 months).

8/2008- started eating gluten again because decided to have an endoscopy to rule out Celiac disease. It was negative. Resumed gluten free diet.

2/2009- genetic testing for Celiac with result showing DQ2 gene, 10x risk for the disease.

Could it be just an intolerance or is it Celiac? I have two young children, one that has some symptoms of gluten intolerance and I would like to have her tested. It would be easier to have a diagnosis, at this point none of my doctors have confirmed an intolerance but have ruled out Celiac which I'm not sure I can feel confident about since I was gluten free before being tested.

On a gluten free diet, many of my symptoms resolve or get much better. The only one that I have not seen much difference in is the low blood pressure.

Thank you and appreciate any feedback.

Here are my symptoms...fatigue, low blood pressure, bloating, constipation, low energy, depression. anemia, floating stools, itchy rash around hairline, cystic acne, occasional tingling in fingers on one hand, palpitations, hoarseness.

My health hx includes Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, melanoma, blood work shows decreased vitamin b12, vitamin D. Hexa scan shows osteopenia right hip. I'm 43.

12/2007- both stool test and ALLCAT positive for gliadin antibodies. Went gluten free.

2/2008- blood test for Celiac negative (was gluten free at the time of blood draw, dr. said I was not gluten free long enough to affect the results. I had been gluten free for 2 months).

8/2008- started eating gluten again because decided to have an endoscopy to rule out Celiac disease. It was negative. Resumed gluten free diet.

2/2009- genetic testing for Celiac with result showing DQ2 gene, 10x risk for the disease.

Could it be just an intolerance or is it Celiac? I have two young children, one that has some symptoms of gluten intolerance and I would like to have her tested. It would be easier to have a diagnosis, at this point none of my doctors have confirmed an intolerance but have ruled out Celiac which I'm not sure I can feel confident about since I was gluten free before being tested.

On a gluten free diet, many of my symptoms resolve or get much better. The only one that I have not seen much difference in is the low blood pressure.

Thank you and appreciate any feedback.

Two months gluten free is definitely long enough to affect your blood tests....the doctor is wrong.

Since you have another autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) which is frequently associated with celiac disease, at least one positive test for gliadin antibodies, and are HLA DQ2, it is more likely to be celiac disease, not gluten intolerance.

Your positive response to the diet tells you all you need to know, though....you should not eat gluten! :)

Good luck! I'm glad you're feeling better!

JoAnn